FORUMS: list search recent posts

Reference Monitor for grading

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jose Arce
Reference Monitor for grading
on Apr 24, 2012 at 2:25:48 pm

I just start to make my own color grading suite. And the most important thing is monitoring.

What kind of monitor can I buy.

For the aspect the 24" Flanders Scientific is a good decisions but is pricey

And the 42" BT300 series of panasonic have some good aspect too.

Any other suggestions.

____

DaVinci Resolve 8.2
MacPro 3,1
2x 2.8 Quad-Core
14 gb RAM
Quadro 4000
6T RAID

Return to posts index

Kevin Cannon
Re: Reference Monitor for grading
on Apr 24, 2012 at 3:23:04 pm

Hi Jose,

I can recommend the 2461w as excellent - but also there is now a smaller, less expensive version called the CM-170w which is still 10-bit and full HD resolution, and as far as I understand, has all the same functions.

If your suite and arrangement and projects allow for the smaller screen... if you need a display to share with clients or have some distance away, perhaps a plasma with color management system is more practical...

KC

Prehistoric Digital

Return to posts index

Jose Arce
on Apr 24, 2012 at 3:42:37 pm

Hey thanks.
Yes this is much smaller version and yes my suite is just for me and one client in this case, of course the 24" is better for more than 2 people. Or a 50" plasma, but for now I thing is enough for my monitoring process and the low budged I have and my clients can pay.

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Apr 24, 2012 at 3:52:37 pm

The 170w is FANTASTIC! And in terms of gamut actually surpasses it's big brother. That said its small size is probably the biggest issue. But if you are using it with a plasma, you should be good,

Jose, both of those are great choices. I also personally like the Sony PVM OLED monitors. But not for clients, just operator. Narrow viewing angle.

online editor | colorist | VFX | BD author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index

Jose Arce
on Apr 24, 2012 at 4:03:10 pm

Thanks.

I think I go for the CM-170W (price and performance, and I'm the colorist)
And the plasma when my clients can pay.

Cheers

Return to posts index

Jose Arce
on May 14, 2012 at 3:09:58 pm

Hi, Juan.

I going to buy the Flanders Scientific 170w. But, I need to buy the card for send the image to this monitor via SDI. I have a doubt, I like the option from black magic design the decklink hd extreme ( http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/decklinkhdextreme/ ), I think this is the right card for my computer to send the image to this monitor.

But reading other post and thinking in the calibration process the HD link (http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/hdlink/) is the other option for external monitoring (if I can afford a big plasma TV in the future) and this card works for the calibrations process with other calibration hardware like this http://store.spectracal.com/business-av/color-analyzers/spectracal-c6.html.

Is better to buy the Delink HD Xtreme for the pletora of connections, thinking that the 170w is a broadcasting monitor. Or Connect the 170w via HDLink.

Thanks

Sorry for my bad english.

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on May 14, 2012 at 3:22:03 pm

the HDLink isn't an interface card. It converts HD-SDI to HDMI/displayport. It's not what you need. You should get the Decklink Extreme 3D.

Online Editor | Colorist | Post Super | VFX Artist | BD Author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index

Jose Arce
on May 14, 2012 at 3:42:43 pm

Thanks, That's the answer what I need.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Apr 24, 2012 at 4:10:12 pm

[Jose Arce] "And the most important thing is monitoring."

Yes, but well, really its an important thing, but...

your grading environment can be very significant, as well -- ambient lighting, viewing angles, backdrops, and so on. Grading is not editing. Its not even like editing.

Imagine you are a perfume/cologne tester.... How's that going to work if someone has placed a big bouquet of Stargazer lilies (which I think stink) next to your sniff-test? Or better yet, you are a beer-taster (can I have that job, please?) but someone insists you have to lick somebody's armpit between sips? (Not this part.)

Its not about the tools themselves, sometimes, its how they go together.

jPo

You mean "Old Ben"? Ben Kenobi?

Return to posts index

Jose Arce
on Apr 24, 2012 at 4:29:07 pm

Hi and yes.
All this stuff is very important. My environment is set up. light, backdrop. Is the most affordable part of all, but when a ask for this can of things is for my own education about all and the creative cow forum always help a lot.

My education was as an artist, painting and all the color stuff, photo, screen print, etc.
So like a perfume/cologne tester I know my conditions.

Thanks again

Cheer

Return to posts index

anthony mouchonnet
on Apr 26, 2012 at 6:08:26 am

What do you think about a Eizo CG245 as reference monitor?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]