FORUMS: list search recent posts

Does anyone have success with Resolve to Avid?!

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roman Hankewycz
Does anyone have success with Resolve to Avid?!
on Apr 24, 2012 at 3:24:21 am

I have worked on a few Avid originated projects and they're always a pain. With much effort I'm able to get my projects from Avid into Resolve but I have yet to find a reliable method of sending graded material back to Avid for post grade conform.

(1) My exported AAFs don't represent the graded sequence correctly. In an extreme example, I deleted all but a few clips from my session, rendered those clips and exported an AAF of the session. When I imported that AAF into Avid it recreated the entire original sequence.

(2) The only way I've ever gotten media to relink back in Avid is to render the master session. Using this method, there's an "identical" graded piece of media for each ungraded piece of media. However this workflow doesn't allow you to grade clips from the same master clip differently. If a shot is reused 5 times in a sequence it must have the same grade throughout.

If anyone has a real workflow I'm all ears.

roman hankewycz
harbor film company // colorist

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
Re: Does anyone have success with Resolve to Avid?!
on Apr 24, 2012 at 3:37:22 am

I would do a search.

Plenty of people successfully round tripping.

Also, check the manual, particularly the "About AAF" section and the "Exporting ALE" section.

Like I said the round trip is being completed successfully by many, many people.

online editor | colorist | VFX | BD author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index

John Michaels
on Apr 24, 2012 at 4:26:30 am

I do round trips between Avid and Resolve all the time with no problems.

To relink footage in Avid, the footage (both ungraded and graded) must belong to the same Tape. Are you doing that?

Here's a video showing the steps:

Return to posts index

Bill Ravens
on Apr 24, 2012 at 1:37:42 pm

Just a word to mention how appreciative I am for the ref to this video!

Return to posts index

Roman Hankewycz
on Apr 24, 2012 at 5:28:37 pm

John,
What if you run into this problem. The pre-graded media had tape names in Avid but when I bring the graded media back into Avid it has different tape names like "msmMMOB.03" I don't understand why the tape names changed. More importantly, I don't know how to proceed given the discrepancy.

Also, do you have any insight into the issue I described which is what do you do when you have multiple instances of a shot in the sequence that you need to grade differently?

And what do you do about AAF exports? I usually need to do a lot of manual adjustments to the edit in Resolve so how do you get those adjustments to translate back to Avid?

Any info would be appreciated.
Thank you,

roman hankewycz
harbor film company // colorist

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Apr 24, 2012 at 6:06:41 pm

[Roman Hankewycz] "And what do you do about AAF exports? I usually need to do a lot of manual adjustments to the edit in Resolve so how do you get those adjustments to translate back to Avid?"

Don't. The FCP XML round trip allows you to do this, but the AAF round trip doesn't support revision. At least in the version I'm currently using -- 8.2. Render handles if you can't lock the thing before grade. If you're replacing VFX shots, there are other options.

[Roman Hankewycz] "what do you do when you have multiple instances of a shot in the sequence that you need to grade differently?"

Make a "Local Version". Start by right-clicking on the thumbnail and follow the prompts.

Tape names and all the other media file references are trickier in AVID flow, because of the fixed and rigid directory hierarchy -- you might have better luck creating a different numbered file under the AvidMediaFiles/MXF tree. Understand the new media has to be identified differently.

On another issue ---
The video tutorial listed in a response above is... well, it could stand being about 6 minutes instead of 14, and it seems to completely ignore the possibility that Loading an AAF, then exporting and Loading a (Resolve) generated AAF (in 8.2, there is an "AAF roundtrip option") eliminates all that messy file management. And be careful with the Render settings! You CAN choose 23.98, which is not 24.000.

jPo

You mean "Old Ben"? Ben Kenobi?

Return to posts index

Roman Hankewycz
on Apr 27, 2012 at 2:10:32 pm

I've spoken to many people about Avid/Resolve workflow and when I ask the questions I'm interested in I keep getting the same blank faces.

The tutorial that was listed earlier in the thread is nice but it isn't applicable to real-world situations. When do you ever find yourself in a situation where all the media is from one source, each clip is used only once, and you can freely change tape names? The stuff I work on is never as neat as the situation proposed in the tutorial or any workflow description I've come across. Projects have various source media; some with tape names, some without. Sometimes the edit changes during grade, and you need those changes to be sent back to Avid. The same clips are used multiple times throughout the sequence and they need different grades.

I still haven't found a good way of getting graded material to travel back to Avid as cleanly as in the FCP/Resolve workflow. If anyone has any real insight I'd love to hear it.

roman hankewycz
harbor picture company // colorist

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Apr 27, 2012 at 2:18:28 pm

Is what you're missing just AAF back out? For what it's worth even in my fcp workflow I don't round trip XML. I bring XML in, grade, render source and then manually relink in fcp. It's just the way I feel comfortable.

If I need to make changes, I do them in fcp, and colortrace or update the session in resolve.

Wondering what part of your excisting workflow do you which worked better?

online editor | colorist | VFX | BD author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index

Roman Hankewycz
on Apr 27, 2012 at 2:44:59 pm

Juan,
Lets start with a simple scenario.
I have a shot that is used multiple times in the sequence. When grading in resolve I use versions to give each instance of the shot a different grade.

If I were round-tripping to FCP, I would render the session and export an XML. That XML references the newly created, graded media. Resolve is free to name the multiple graded files with a unique identifier and the XML knows where each file needs to go in the sequence. In FCP I import the XML and the job's done. No manual relinking.

In the case of the Avid round-trip this is not possible, because there's no way for Resolve to tell Avid "Hey, I know you sent me one master clip for these 5 shots, but I'm sending you back 5 individual shots in return. Here's where each of them should go." From what I know about the Avid round-trip process the media you render out has to match the media you send in otherwise it doesn't work. In addition, you have to manually change tape names in Avid so that your original media and graded media share tape names. The tape renaming thing is ridiculous when you're dealing with hundreds of clips, not to mention that changing tape names is not something to be taken lightly.

So to get back to the original question. I'm interested in how you deal with multiple shots in a session that have the same master clip.

roman hankewycz
harbor picture company // colorist

Return to posts index

John Michaels
on Apr 27, 2012 at 5:17:27 pm

[Roman Hankewycz] " In addition, you have to manually change tape names in Avid so that your original media and graded media share tape names. The tape renaming thing is ridiculous when you're dealing with hundreds of clips, not to mention that changing tape names is not something to be taken lightly."

The only time you should have to change the tape name of a clip is if it didn't have one in the first place. Generally I think it's a good idea to give everything a tape name anyway. If your source clip has a tape name, and your Resolve project settings are configured to properly detect it ("Reel Number" in Resolve parlance), Resolve will render the output with that same tape name so there should be no problem there.

[Roman Hankewycz] "In the case of the Avid round-trip this is not possible, because there's no way for Resolve to tell Avid "Hey, I know you sent me one master clip for these 5 shots, but I'm sending you back 5 individual shots in return. Here's where each of them should go.""

I see what you're saying. You're using one clip multiple times with the same in points, out points, timecode, etc, but for each instance you want a different grade. So in Resolve you use Versions for each grade. But when you send it back over to Avid, Avid doesn't know which version goes where because all the metadata is the same.

In this case it gets a little trickier, but it's still possible. Render with unique filenames to ensure one version doesn't overwrite the other. Next, use the "Commercial Workflow" settings in the Render window. You could, for example, use the Alternate Pass Offset to offset the timecode for each version of your grade to sufficiently differentiate them for Avid. See page 373-374 in the manual about that. It might get a little messier on the Avid side, though.

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on May 4, 2012 at 4:21:35 pm

I don't understand why the Resolve generated AAF back to Avid can't cope with the same clip used multiple times?
It's irrelevant that the incoming AAF to Resolve only had reference to one clip. The outgoing AAF maybe based on that but it could hold references to the newly created graded shots. In the same way Avid could and would send differences if the sources hadn't been the same.

Clearly it's still complex and evolving and at best it's important not to imagine A Resolve round trip is like working in Avid and doing you color correction. This is no different to the early days of FCP and color. You had loads of flexibility if you used the FCP CC but if you wanted the scope of the color round trip it suddenly got a whole lot more complex and limiting (especially early on)

So it's important to work within the limitations of the workflow and balance what you need from it against what you lose by going that route.

We have a DS and use that for final grading sometimes and even with the greater integration that gives it still has to be managed and the expectations of the client and editor managed.

We are looking at resolve as a final grading tool and folks will need to have picture lock (maybe the odd VFX replacement at most)
This isn't going to be the same as the up to the wire offline edit/grade some clients seem to work to.

Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]