FORUMS: list search recent posts

Desktop Monitor for Web Color Grading

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zak Ray
Desktop Monitor for Web Color Grading
on Apr 24, 2012 at 2:01:45 am

First question is simple: I'm in need of new desktop monitors. Looking towards the Dell Ultrasharps, which have been a favorite in the past, specifically the U2412M. Any other suggestions?

Second question, more difficult: none of the work I do in Resolve is for broadcast. By this logic, I feel like I can get away with a solid desktop monitor rather than a Dreamcolor, FSI or something pricier. If this is the case, any input on whether the Ultrasharps are a better or worse choice than anything else?

And third question: Resolve doesn't output to a second monitor without a Decklink. I guess this means I would need the Decklink Studio, or buy an SDI/HDMI converter to get to the desktop monitor? Seems like overkill, but the only option?

Thanks much!

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
Re: Desktop Monitor for Web Color Grading
on Apr 24, 2012 at 3:22:46 am

1st question:

I like dell too.

2nd:

IMHO, you still need proper external monitoring even for the web. Thing is computer monitors are notoriously inconsistent. And without a proper working space or profile you can't really judge the image. Using 709 colors pace, at least you have a reference point for what the image should be. As you compress and distribute online you have something to compare against. So when someone says "it doesn't look right" you can confidently say its because of how they are viewing it. if you don't have that baseline, then well who knows.

But this has all been covered before and in much more detail. Check the search function.

3rd:

I guess for low cost (I'm guessing this question should probably be in the LITE forum) you could use the intensity, along with a lower cost monitor that was properly calibrated to conform to 709. There are some resonably priced consumer sets that with good calibration can do near perfect 709. I'm speaking of the top tier Panasonic Viera monitors, you could look into these.

But like I said, if you aren't grading on a calibrated external monitor, then the only screen you are grading for, is the one you are grading on.

Good luck.

online editor | colorist | VFX | BD author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index

Zak Ray
on Apr 24, 2012 at 4:15:27 am

Thanks for the suggestions, Juan. I am indeed using Resolve Lite, though I think the question applies equally to both versions.

Are you referring to the LED, LCD, or Plasma version of the Viera?

Obviously the gamut etc is limited by the monitor itself, but would you place any stock in desktop calibration, i.e. a Spyder?

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Apr 24, 2012 at 4:27:39 am

Plasma. Vt25/vt30 if you can find it used. Or a vt50. Though for that price you could get a professional monitor for just a little more.

You could try to find it used.

At home I have a 50pz800u which is several years old, and I just checked it, it was nearly perfect 709.

Made me happy to see that.

On the issue of desktop calibration. I have zero faith in them, I've never seen a desktop image close enough to a calibrated monitor for me to trust it. Like I said, if you grade on a desktop, you're just grading for that desktop.

You'd probably get a broader set of opinions in the LITE forum, as it is geared more towards non-standard installations.

online editor | colorist | VFX | BD author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index

Margus Voll
on Apr 24, 2012 at 6:26:27 am

As non standard i'd ad new apple cinema displays. They have more consistent results
compared to dell in my eye. Maybe it is just one model that makes look them bad but this difference was huge. 2407 and 2408 was like night and day.

In the other hand all cinema displays that i have get the same result on any unit.
In osx that is not on win.

--

Margus

http://iconstudios.eu

DaVinci 8.2.1 OSX 10.7.3
MacPro 5.1 2x2,93 24GB
GTX 470 / Quadro 4000
Multibridge 2 Pro

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Apr 24, 2012 at 4:01:16 pm

[Zak Ray] "desktop calibration, i.e. a Spyder?
"

Generally are sold to be used to calibrate consumer displays for photography (gamma 1.8) to profile for inkjet, which is probably not really your target space. The Spyder is useless for video.

Some third party characterizations are totally incompatible with professional grading software.
Example: ColorMunki will cause Apple COLOR to display garbage.

This topic has been discussed daily ever since Apple introduced COLOR to the Final Cut Suite, with most users oblivious to how dangerous it actually is to perform wholesale adjustments to their media under uncontrolled circumstances.

jPo

You mean "Old Ben"? Ben Kenobi?

Return to posts index

Knut Jansohn
on Apr 24, 2012 at 11:24:52 am

Assuming you are delivering for web, I would recommend to calibrate your refference-monitor to sRGB.
If you like to do that seriously you need a monitor with hardware-calibration and the new xrite display pro (if supported) or what the manufacturer provide (as minimal requirement).
Other way is profiling your monitor and using a 3d-lut within resolve.

Regards

K.

Return to posts index

Zak Ray
on Apr 24, 2012 at 1:01:56 pm

This may be faulty logic, but wouldn't I want to grade based on the majority of viewing devices, which wouldn't be sRGB? Like an album producer using $10 speakers to mix?

Return to posts index

Knut Jansohn
on Apr 24, 2012 at 1:37:50 pm

[Zak Ray] "This may be faulty logic, but wouldn't I want to grade based on the majority of viewing devices, which wouldn't be sRGB?"

pc-displays are mostly sRGB. This standard was defined by microsoft and HP and was affirmed by many others.

Return to posts index

stig olsen
on Apr 24, 2012 at 1:07:28 pm

Hi,

I suggest you go for the BT300 Series (Panasonic).
Hang it on the wall and use it for grading and for viewing the final film with clients.

Color modes: native, BT.709, D-Cine, EBU, SMPTE-C and Custom.

Return to posts index

Zak Ray
on Apr 24, 2012 at 1:26:24 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, but that's sort of veering away from the low-budget idea (see question 2 in the original post)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]