FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avid MC 5.5 to DaVinci Resolve 8.2.1 Mac Conform Problems

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Will Rogan
Avid MC 5.5 to DaVinci Resolve 8.2.1 Mac Conform Problems
on Apr 23, 2012 at 5:15:37 am

Hello, and welcome to my first post on Creative Cow!

I am using DaVinci Resolve 8.2.1 on a Mac to color grade a 1080p 29.97 sequence from Avid MC 5.5 and having serious problems during the conform. A great deal of the sequence is coming in either blank, or black with a red X. A message pops up telling me that some of my clips weren’t imported, and then lists a series of clips that were not found. This occurs when using an AAF from Avid. Similar things occur with an EDL.

I think I have isolated the problem clips to shots that were not transcoded to DNxHD from XDCAM EX, and .jpeg images, both of which are not supported by Resolve. Problem is, these are a large part of the show.

Having made this discovery I figured I would just transcode the whole sequence into DNxHD and then bump out an AAF from the transcoded version of the sequence. Before transcoding I moved all my media from Avid Media Files/MXF/1 to /2 so the transcoded media would all be consolidated in the 1 folder.

Problem: when I bring the AAF of the transcoded sequence into Resolve none, I repeat, none of the clips link up. They are all black with a red X. Resolve tells me that all of my clips could not be found.

Help?

Thanks for reading
-Will

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
Re: Avid MC 5.5 to DaVinci Resolve 8.2.1 Mac Conform Problems
on Apr 23, 2012 at 5:48:47 am

Why are ou moving the files within your database? How are you consolidating/transcoding files in mc?

You are correct about the reason some clips aren't showing up. I think you might need to add the avid directories into your media pool.

Also, I don't think you benefit from re organizing the files in your MXF folder. I'd try again without doing that.

We're you able to check that the transcoded media was online before AAF export?

online editor | colorist | VFX | BD author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index

Will Rogan
on Apr 23, 2012 at 1:54:33 pm

Juan

Thanks for the reply.

The media is online in my avid project before AAF export.
I did add my avid directory to my media pool.

I moved things around in the avid media folders because I know exactly what I have in there. I am coming from an already consolidated project that has media only in mxf/1. I move that media into a new folder called /2. Then I transcode a copy of my sequence and all that new media goes into the /1 folder. This is a means of consolidating/transcoding a sequence without using a second drive. I send an AAF from the newly transcoded sequence and add that /1 folder to the Resolve media pool, because that's where the transcoded media from that sequence is.
I will try this again and add the entire /mxf directory to the media pool

I transcoded everything in the sequence to DNxHD 145, and checked the box in the Consolidated/Transcode window that says to include media already at the "target resolution," which I assume means that Avid will copy the DNx HD 145 media that is already in the sequence. Is that the case?

Thanks,
Will

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Apr 23, 2012 at 2:38:22 pm

I will try this again and add the entire /mxf directory to the media pool
Let us know if that works this time. I suspect the media ended up in the "2" folder somehow.

Return to posts index

Will Rogan
on Apr 23, 2012 at 2:49:55 pm

Solved!

Juan,

When pointing the media pool to the whole /mxf directory, my clips all link up.

Thanks,
-Will

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Apr 23, 2012 at 3:27:20 pm

Yeah, best practice is to just let avid manage your media. That's what it does best. Glad that fixed it.

Return to posts index

Eric Johnson
on Apr 28, 2012 at 3:42:02 am

I've been having a similar problem. Except everything links up in the "Master Session", but in the AAF Timeline 80-90% of the timeline is "offline" due to "Timecode extents"... I can't say for certain, but I am 85% sure that I pointed to the "MXF" directory and not the "Consolidated" directory.

Thoughts?

This is from MC6 not MC5.5, though I don't think that's the issue.

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Apr 28, 2012 at 4:06:40 am

Are you using mixed frame rates? Did you render out in the correct framerate (i.e. 23.976 not 24)? The extents error is usually related to the media framerate.

Return to posts index

Eric Johnson
on Apr 28, 2012 at 4:17:44 am

I transcoded a mixed format/framerate timeline to 220x. From that transcoded timeline I created the AAF.

Also, it is 1080i 59.94, out of Avid, so as far as I can manipulate the Resolve it is a 30fps EDL/AAF, 29.97 render. Though it appears Resolve is introducing some strobing, which is another issue altogether.

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Apr 28, 2012 at 4:42:09 am

sounds like you've got mixed frame rates still. Any cineform stuff in there? Do a search for "extents" in this forum, you'll see a bunch of stuff. I don't have an easy fix for you i'm afraid. Other than to suggest you retry transcoding your sequence. And if that fails... export a self contained file and use the edl conform method.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]