FORUMS: list search recent posts

MacVidCards cracks the GTX5xx cards - Fastest Mac EFI card EVER !!!

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Pirinelli
MacVidCards cracks the GTX5xx cards - Fastest Mac EFI card EVER !!!
on Apr 20, 2012 at 5:22:43 am

Just created the fastest ac EFI card EVER.

The GTX580 3GB Ultra.

Requires more power than you can put in a Mac Pro but does 1800 Gflops vs 1300 in GTX480. Can work in Mac Pro if you use external power.

Have figured out GTX560 as well so no doubt that GTX570 will soon follow.

These cards will have full boot screen ability and be "Mac Native". (i.e., you won't need to worry if Apple disables the "easy init" drivers)

You will still need 10.7.3 or later. Good news is they work in ML DP3 as well !!!

Return to posts index

Christian Betong
Re: MacVidCards cracks the GTX5xx cards - Fastest Mac EFI card EVER !!!
on Apr 20, 2012 at 7:31:42 am

Would we need the modified EFI version of this now with the new Nvidia drivers?:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1330964

At least if you use the 580 as a secondary (not for gui) GPU for resolve.

If you use Premiere or other software that utilize the CUDA of the main GPU this is great, but I cant see how this would help those using Resolve on mac.

Christian Berg-Nielsen
Sement&Betong
postproduction
Norway

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
on Apr 21, 2012 at 6:46:56 am

Very happy to hear :)
Perfect for Smoke and Scratch/Lab
As a GPU only , they work already today.

A slice of color...

DaVinci 8.2.1 OSX 10.7.2
MacPro 5.1 2x2,4 24GB
RAID0 8TB
GTX 470 / Quadro 4000
Extreme 3D+

ICA Instructor
http://www.icolorist.com/Sascha.html

Return to posts index

David Pirinelli
on Apr 21, 2012 at 11:05:29 am

Yes, in a Mac Pro using the 10.7.3 "magic" driver, they do work...at PCIE 1.0 speeds of 2.5 GT/s.

Anyone running a self initiated GTX5xx or GTX4xx card try posting these screens

You won't be able to post the "PCI slots" one because the self initiating cards cause an error that stops that screen, but you can see your PCIE speed in CUDA-Z (the device to host and host to device pinned speed shows PCIE speed)

Pretty sure my EFI cards are only ones that run at PCIE 2.0 Spec of 5.0 GT/s.

Due to how Mac Pro enters BIOS legacy mode, it also affects Windows side.

BTW, these shots are NOT from the super fast Ultra Classified, these are from a standard GTX580 3GB that I have been working on. It's ready.

Return to posts index

Jonathon Lee
on Apr 21, 2012 at 5:07:01 pm

I'm confused? I bought a brand new EVGA GTX 570 2.5 GB from newegg as my GUI GPU and it works great. I'm even getting 10-bit from the DisplayPort connector on my DreamColor and HP ZR2740w monitors in photoshop. I'm using the Nvidia drivers... no nothing modded.

What am I missing here? I have a MacVidCards GTX 285 in another system from "back in the day", but how are those cards functioning differently then a stock GTX with Nvidia stock?

- JL

Return to posts index

David Pirinelli
on Apr 21, 2012 at 8:39:06 pm

Run CUDA-Z and post the screen shot like the above. My guess is that you will find the card running at PCIE 1.0 speeds of 2.5 GT/s. So while the card itself is running at normal speed, it's link to the CPU is running at half speed. (Same as running at 8 lanes instead of 16)

For most things, you will never notice a difference. But at high data transfer speeds this will matter. If you don't need the extra speed, no worries.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/cuda-z/files/cuda-z/Beta/CUDA-Z-0.6.133-SVN...

It's a simple little app, useful for diagnosing CUDA issues.

Coincidentally, today I am working on GTX570 with 2.5 GB and Displayport. Should allow boot screens and use of System disks on an Apple 27" etc when I am done.

Already have the PCIE 2 enabled

Return to posts index

Jonathon Lee
on Apr 22, 2012 at 12:10:51 am

Hey David,

OK, got it. I'll run that test tomorrow. I'm very curious about this. Under system profiler it is reported that it is at full speed, but who knows what that number really means. That's a bummer.

What about the GTX 680? Any luck with that one?

- JL

Return to posts index

David Pirinelli
on Apr 22, 2012 at 1:06:08 am

"Under system profiler it is reported that it is at full speed"

I am curious where you see this under System Profiler ?

On cards using the "Magic Driver" the section of system profiler that shows PCI card speeds doesn't work. So there should be no way to see what speed they are running at. The "Graphics & DIsplays" section doesn't show link speed. People using Cubix also frequently report seeing the same "Error while gathering PCI info" or something to that effect.

Another way to see whether your card is running in PCIE 2 at full speed or is stuck in PCIE 1.0 at half speed is to use lspci, this is a piece of the OS that Apple decided not to include but you can install it. RUn CUDA-Z in background to create a load.

using "lspci -vvv" you will likely see this:

nkCap: Port #0, Speed 2.5GT/s, Width x16, ASPM L0s L1, Latency L0 <1us, L1 <4us
ClockPM+ Suprise- LLActRep- BwNot-
LnkCtl: ASPM Disabled; RCB 64 bytes Disabled- Retrain- CommClk-
ExtSynch- ClockPM+ AutWidDis- BWInt- AutBWInt-
LnkSta: Speed 2.5GT/s, Width x16, TrErr- Train- SlotClk+ DLActive- BWMgmt- ABWMgmt-

Our cards show this instead:

LnkCap: Port #0, Speed 5GT/s, Width x16, ASPM L0s L1, Latency L0 <512ns, L1 <4us
ClockPM+ Suprise- LLActRep- BwNot-
LnkCtl: ASPM Disabled; RCB 64 bytes Disabled- Retrain- CommClk-
ExtSynch- ClockPM+ AutWidDis- BWInt- AutBWInt-
LnkSta: Speed 5GT/s, Width x16, TrErr- Train- SlotClk+ DLActive- BWMgmt- ABWMgmt-

I will have a crack at 680 EFI soon, but currently there is little point since the drivers don't have support.

So if I write a good EFI for it it will show boot screen but crash at desktop, or show unaccelerated 2D.

Return to posts index

Gustavo Bermudas
on Apr 22, 2012 at 5:15:05 am

David, could you explain more how do you get more power in the Mac? Are you offering these cards now?

Return to posts index

Jonathon Lee
on Apr 22, 2012 at 9:57:50 am

Ah... I see now. It looks to be running at half speed like you said it would be. I think the higher speed showed up when the original AMD 5770 was installed, I'm pretty sure that one showed up at full speed. Let me know when you have the 570 working at full tilt.

Return to posts index

Gabriele Turchi
on Apr 22, 2012 at 2:44:19 pm

damn ...i just ordered one as well ...

so , david you think that in resolve will perform less ?

any way you can run a little test for us on the regular 580 (but that have your full speed mod ) , using the candle test maybe ?

thanks

g

Davinci Resolve Control Surface
MacPro
Cubix desktop 4
2 Red Rockets
GTX470+GTX470+GTX470
24GB RAM
HP Dreamcolor
Panasonic 58PF Plasma
Ultrascope

Return to posts index

Knut Jansohn
on Apr 22, 2012 at 4:24:15 pm

See that the bandwith of HD, 2k and 4k is clearly below 2,5 GT/s potential which is 4000 MB/s at x16, each way.
So as I unserstand it, it should not make a difference for real time playback.

K.

Return to posts index

David Pirinelli
GTX5xx release this week
on Apr 22, 2012 at 9:29:04 pm

It is quite possible that for what most of you are doing, the difference would be small.

It may require cards in a Cubix to make a big difference. But I am very hard pressed to imagine a situation where it would be BETTER to have the PCIE interface running at half speed.

In any case I have now gotten GTX570 with DIsplayport and DVI working as well as GTX580 3 GB and GTX580 3GB Ultra Classified. All 3 cards run perfectly and at full PCIE 2.0 5.0 GT/s speed.

They all can show boot screens on either port (including Apple 27" MDP)

They all sleep and wake perfectly. ANd they will show boot screens or work with System Install and Recovery Disks, something the PC cards can't do. They also work in all released versions of 10.8, something the PC cards can't do with out some hacking.

In addition, as a result of the fact that they are integrated at EFI level, the "PCI Cards" section of System Profiler actually WORKS, allowing you to see all of your cards, how they are being identified, and what speeds they are running at. I imagine that might help when trying to troubleshoot issues.

I don't know how cards function in a Cubix or Cyclone because I don't have one. It would be interesting to find out if the 2.5 bug from Non-EFI cards carries over to those. It would be interesting to know if the 580 classifieds fit into one of those and if there is enough power. (they require 2 @ 8 pin and 1 @ 6pin...EACH !!!) but they are quite a bit faster than standard GTX580. 3 of them in a Cubix would be capable of quite a lot. I think the Cubix by itself kills the "PCI Cards" section so to find out what speed the link is, we would need to use CUDA-Z or the lspci app I mentioned.

Using PC cards OOTB the box works in the current OS, I am offering a better implementation.

Return to posts index

Reuben Fink
Re: GTX5xx release this week
on Jun 20, 2012 at 9:26:19 pm

Can I send you a GTX 570 to be modded? If so can you convert it to PCIE 2.0?
How would I send it to you and what would it cost?

Return to posts index

David Pirinelli
PCIE 1.0 at 2.5GT/s vs PCIE 2.0 at 5.0 GT/s quantified
on May 6, 2012 at 1:10:57 am

It was difficult to find a direct comparison of PCIE 1.0 to PCIE 2.0 since the tech update was in 2008 and everything else has moved on.

So the test was done with the best GPUs of 2008.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...-2.0,1915.html

"From this standpoint, we clearly recommend PCIe 2.0 to anyone, because it has no disadvantages.

But is PCIe 2.0 really necessary yet? As long as a graphics solution can operate with data that is stored within its local video frame buffer memory, both the reasonably mainstream Radeon HD 3850 and the hardcore GeForce 9800 GX2 will operate close to their maximum performance, even if the PCI Express link width is limited to x8 or x4. Once larger textures need to be accessed, as is the case in Crysis or Microsoft’s Flight Simulator X, interface bandwidth becomes a crucial element. Any link width below x16 will noticeably limit these games’ playability."

PCIE 2.0 8 lanes = PCIE 1.0 16 lanes

So, only if you are doing high bandwidth transfers or loading lots of complicated textures will you see a large difference. I would imagine that this would include GPU CUDA stuff, but YMMV.

The above tests only found a big difference when used with Crysis and Microsoft Flight Simulator.

They were testing with ATI 3850 and Nvidia 9800GX2, I would imagine that progress has been made with GTX570 and other modern cards over the bandwidth needs of cards in 2008. But perhaps not.

When using a display, most people like having a card that makes the screen pop up the second you hit the power button. If you don't mind waiting, any PC GTX570 will work. You should just keep an EFI card somewhere handy, should you ever need to install system software, or troubleshoot OS issues, a non-EFI card will NEVER fire the screen up.

For Resolve the need to see boot screens is reduced, but I can't imagine a situation where limiting the bus speed could be seen as a "good" thing.

SO feel free to buy your 570 from Newegg or TigerDirect or whoever. If you find that your needs include a boot screen and/or high bandwidth transfers, get in touch.

Return to posts index

Nathan Clark
Re: PCIE 1.0 at 2.5GT/s vs PCIE 2.0 at 5.0 GT/s quantified
on Jun 5, 2012 at 7:20:21 am

Hi David,

Im looking into breathing some fresh air into my Mac Pro '08 (before retiring it in a year or so).
I would love to run 2 x 3GB GTX 580's.

Originally I had planned on capitalizing on the new driver and running the cards natively, But this thread and you knowledge have convinced me that I would be much better off with the cards you offer.

Can you please tell me how to get in contact with you so I can make this Cuda dream come true?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Greg Jones
on Jul 2, 2012 at 8:37:38 pm

Does anyone have an idea of how to get a hold of MacVid Cards Dave? I own a PC GTX570 that I would be interested in getting flashed to a Mac version. Does anyone have his email? I've searched the internet and the only contact I could find was for MacVidCards on ebay.

Greg Jones

Greg Jones
Orlando,Fl.
http://www.d7-inc.com

Return to posts index

Reuben Fink
on Jul 11, 2012 at 5:23:38 am

I'm looking to mod my 570. Anyone with MacVidCard's contact info please send me a message. Much thanks.

OSX 10.6.4
Equipment: 2.8 ghz 8 core Intal Mac Pro, 20 gig of ram
Aps: CS5 Production Bundle, FCP Suite 2, Avid Media Composer

Return to posts index

Elizabeth Rodriguez-Zuniga
on Oct 9, 2012 at 12:21:11 am

I bought a PC version EVGA GTX 560 (2GB) video card by mistake for my Mac Pro 3, 1 (early 2008 - 8core). I'm stuck with it, and researched a bit to see if I had options and I found that Macvidcards might be able to flash it to work with my hardware config.

I have OSX mountain Lion (latest vers.) and I just need to know how much it would cost to make this happen for me and how to get in touch with Macvidcards via email or some other means.

Please Advise,
Lisa

Return to posts index

Rohit Gupta
on Oct 9, 2012 at 3:46:23 am

Are you having any problems with the card is OS X 10.8.2?

It should just work although the specific card you bought is not on our supported list, but I expect it should work.

Don't expect to see the boot screens though with a non-EFI card.

Return to posts index

Elizabeth Rodriguez-Zuniga
on Nov 1, 2012 at 5:53:00 pm

Yes, the problem was that the card just didn't work...the screen was blank and I waited a LONG time. So, anyways I had to sell it and get a Quadro FX 4800 (no problems).

Thanks,
Lisa

Return to posts index

Elliott Balsley
How to tell?
on Mar 19, 2013 at 8:45:06 pm

David, how can one tell if the card is running at PCIe 2.0 speeds or not? My CUDA-Z screenshot looks very similar to yours, and I'm using a stock (non-flashed) GTX 570 HD 2.5GB on 10.8.3.

Elliott C. Balsley
DIT, Colorist, Cinematographer
http://www.llamafilm.com

Return to posts index

George Garcia
on Jan 14, 2014 at 12:38:53 am

Hi David my name is george, i believe this item is on your ebay account: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nvidia-GTX-680-Classified-4-GB-for-Apple-Mac-Pro-/2...

im interested in purchasing it but i would like to take my system to you, install test and make sure it works.

i read the ebay post i have a mac pro3,1 and it falls under the requiered systems. i try to contact you though ebay but i haven't used my account in a very long time to purchase items and i notice you are located in Los angeles.

is it possible to meet test and purchase?

thanks in advance,
Jorge

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]