FORUMS: list search recent posts

Tangent elements in action

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sascha Haber
Tangent elements in action
on Apr 19, 2012 at 12:54:40 pm

Hi there,

is anyone at NAB able to film some Resolve action on the Elements ?
A report from a user would be cool too.
I just wonder how much more convenient it might be compared to switch menus on the Wave.
And how are the balls ?

A slice of color...

DaVinci 8.2.1 OSX 10.7.2
MacPro 5.1 2x2,4 24GB
RAID0 8TB
GTX 470 / Quadro 4000
Extreme 3D+

ICA Instructor
http://www.icolorist.com/Sascha.html

Return to posts index

Kevin Cannon
Re: Tangent elements in action
on Apr 19, 2012 at 1:57:17 pm

Hey Sascha,

The element panel(s) vs. the Resolve panel was my main thing to evaluate this year... I played with both at the Blackmagic booth (with Resolve 9) and the B&H booth (with Resolve 8.x). I ordered a set of the elements so I'll be happy to shoot some footage using them if nobody else does first...

I have a wave right now, and my main impression is this: on the wave, even if you memorized every key combination and knob, you still have to look down at the board to see which menu you are parked on - with the element you still have to jump between menus, but the shortcuts are assigned to the A or B button... so B > PowerWindow pulls up the power window controls for the knob and button panels, and A > Input sizing pulls up the input sizing for the knob and button panels... This isn't so different for the wave except that the shortcuts are always in the same place, so you don't have to look down to scroll. Resolve 9 will also jump into the relevant window when you hit a shortcut, unlike how it works with the wave currently.

I'm a little less sure about the mapping on the Multifunction panel... I like the idea of dedicated buttons for prev node and next node, undo etc... but currently you have to switch between A and B... I'll have to play with it more.

The balls feel fine - to me it was the rings that were the more noticeable difference from the wave... they feel very good to me, much more like the resolve panel than the wave. Ultimately, the feel of the rings, the consistency of the shortcuts, and the look are the things that convinced me it was worth it, and not just a way to end up US$3,500 farther away from a Resolve Panel...

KC

Prehistoric Digital

Return to posts index

Gabriele Turchi
on Apr 19, 2012 at 2:36:08 pm

Davinci Resolve Control Surface
MacPro
Cubix desktop 4
2 Red Rockets
GTX470+GTX470+GTX470
24GB RAM
HP Dreamcolor
Panasonic 58PF Plasma
Ultrascope

Return to posts index

Margus Voll
on Apr 19, 2012 at 2:56:39 pm

Nice demo

--

Margus

http://iconstudios.eu

Return to posts index

Paul Provost
on Apr 19, 2012 at 8:54:02 pm

tried them all at nab.
I've had the jl cooper eclipse cx since they came out over 4(?) years ago.
the elements are nicer. definitely. rings and balls are smoother, better displays, knobs, buttons.
i would say the davinci panels are really not that much better in feel than the tangents, but of course the mapping is perfect. but you can't use them on anything else.
if your business model supports spending an extra $25k for the davincis, then get them. but i'm selling the eclipse and getting the tangents...

http://www.postandbeam.tv
grade and finish @ post + beam
http://www.facebook.com/pages/post-beam/137967176232067

Return to posts index

Barrie Williams
on Apr 20, 2012 at 7:25:34 am

Agreed
We have the elements panel now, love it.

We have decommissioned our JLCooper.

Barrie

Return to posts index

Peter Berg
on Apr 21, 2012 at 6:09:00 am

Can I ask why you would stop using the JL Cooper? Can you talk about how the Element panel is so much better than the JL Cooper?

thanks,
Peter

Return to posts index

Barrie Williams
on Apr 22, 2012 at 10:44:17 pm

Hi Peter,
The reasons I swapped away from jlcooper panel are:

1- I do stereoscopic work and certain key functions are simply not mapped on the JLC. This makes it almost impossible to use for 3d.

2- the Element panel has a reset button built into each knob, which I find essential. JLC does not have this.

3- the JLC regularly would stop communicating with the system, the port number was resetting itself spontaneously several times a day. This was really irritating.

4- the element panel is considerably less deep than the JLC. Which suited my needs better.

5- the mapping on elements is much better than JLC.

This is not a criticism of the JLCooper panel, which we have re-deployed on our Linux IFX Piranha system , and it works well on that system.
Barrie

Return to posts index

Peter Berg
on Apr 24, 2012 at 6:05:39 am

Thanks Barrie. The feedback is very helpful. That does sound annoying that the connection to your panel would drop off many times per day. Mine has a good connection.

Only issues I have with mine is that the knobs with the click positions don't always seem to turn smoothly. Also occasionally I will find that my grade suddenly 'jumps'. It will shift to another correction and I have to undo to get it back. Not sure if it's the software of the panel. But the Cooper has been good for us.

I have a Tangent CP100 and I love it (just wish that Blackmagic would support it!) so I do believe that Tangent can make really good boards.

thanks again,
Peter

Return to posts index

Paul Provost
on Apr 22, 2012 at 11:02:37 pm

Jl cooper are very sturdy and have been great
Just like the feel and control of elements

http://www.postandbeam.tv
grade and finish @ post + beam
http://www.facebook.com/pages/post-beam/137967176232067

Return to posts index

Mike Most
on Apr 24, 2012 at 5:35:23 am

Uhhh, not to be a stickler for proper use of language, but the product is the Element, not Elements. Since there are multiple panels, the proper naming would be Tangent Element Panels, not Elements Panels.

I'll go back to sleep now.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]