FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP7 xml round trip

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
andrew sableton
FCP7 xml round trip
on Apr 18, 2012 at 7:40:48 pm

1080i 29.97fps pro res media and sequence settings. I am round tripping sections of TV shows that are typically about 200 shots each. Intermittently some clips render the wrong section of the source media. Sometimes it seems this happens when the source clip is very long (eg two minutes of source media for a 3 second clip) or where more than one clip shares the same source quicktime file. I don't understand why this should be the case because the timecode in the source media appears to be fine as far as I can tell.

Any ideas on what could be wrong? When I compare everything I can think of looking at between the problem clips and ones that work fine I usually cannot see any difference at all, but maybe there is something I am overlooking.

A

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: FCP7 xml round trip
on Apr 18, 2012 at 8:16:26 pm

[andrew sableton] "Intermittently some clips render the wrong section of the source media."

Do you mean in the preview timeline, or when you are actually rendering new media for export, and do you catch this when you re-open the XML in FCP7?

You mean "Old Ben"? Ben Kenobi?

Return to posts index

andrew sableton
on Apr 18, 2012 at 8:35:53 pm

I only catch it when checking in FCP after render, although sometimes it might be "wrong" in Davinci but just not obvious as I am grading. At least in some instances when I have checked it appears to match the right shot exactly in Davinci and only shows up after render.

A

Return to posts index

Margus Voll
on Apr 18, 2012 at 8:52:26 pm

seems like timecode shift ?

what is the base material and what is the timebase for tcp edits ?

--

Margus

http://iconstudios.eu

Return to posts index

andrew sableton
Re: FCP7 xml round trip -EPIPHANY - BUG FOUND
on Apr 18, 2012 at 10:03:02 pm

Everything is 29.97, drop frame - quicktimes and fcp sequence

Just did a test as follows:

1080i 29.97 prores sequence and media in FCP with 5 clips in it.

Bladed the clips so that each single source media quicktime is referenced by multiple clips in FCP sequence.

Exported to XML.

Loaded XML in Davinci.

Checked each clip in Davinci against original FCP timeline. Every in and out point matches exactly.

Render out and export XML (IMPORTANT NOTE - WITH RENDER CLIP WITH UNIQUE FILENAME DESELECTED)

Import XML into FCP timeline.

Layer original clips and graded clips on top of each other in FCP timeline. Duration of clips match. However every second clip is offset by differing amounts 1 - 2 secs. In some instances there is not enough handles to fix.

I check the media files and see that although there are ten clips in the FCP timeline (which originally referenced five separate quicktimes), DAVINCI has not made 10 separate media clips of the sequence but just 5. However these five quicktimes do not match the original duration, but just the duration of every second clip in the timeline.

I then changed the render setting in DAVINCI to "Render Clip with Unique Filename" and now it all worked fine. Each clip in the timeline now gets a unique quicktime which matches up correctly. So, originally there were 10 FCP clips in my sequence referencing 5 quicktimes. After the round trip there are now 10 FCP clips referencing 10 unique quicktimes. Timecodes and vision match.

This is fine, it is just a little unfortunate that the relinking benefits of not having a changed name for the media file does not work correctly. It seems to me that there is an error occuring in DAVINCI not being able to render the entire duration of the source quicktime when you choose not to "Render Clip with Unique Filename".

Hope that all makes sense - hard to describe this slightly convoluted process.

A

Return to posts index

brandon thomas
on Apr 18, 2012 at 10:17:10 pm

You had 10 cuts referencing 5 clips. Without the unique identifier, Resolve was overwriting the files with the same name, resulting in you missing portions of the clips. If you wanted the file names to match without the unique identifier, you'd need to render out of the master session, but it'll render the entire source clip and not just the cuts + handles you want.

Return to posts index

andrew sableton
on Apr 18, 2012 at 10:24:53 pm

Hmmm.......if you choose the master sequence, render a portion of clips from one sequence, then export that sequence only as an XML, will it reference the rendered files?

A

Return to posts index

brandon thomas
on Apr 20, 2012 at 12:27:59 am

Worth a try, but the solution is to render out of Resolve with the unique identifier enabled.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]