FORUMS: list search recent posts

Forums changed

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Juan Salvo
Forums changed
on Apr 18, 2012 at 7:38:02 am

Wow. Seems the cow listens too. They've created a new resolve lite forum. I wonder how this will play out?

online editor | colorist | VFX | BD author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index

Margus Voll
Re: Forums changed
on Apr 18, 2012 at 8:12:17 am

we will see in time.

--

Margus

http://iconstudios.eu

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
on Apr 18, 2012 at 9:09:32 am

Thank you CoW :)

A slice of color...

DaVinci 8.2.1 OSX 10.7.2
MacPro 5.1 2x2,4 24GB
RAID0 8TB
GTX 470 / Quadro 4000
Extreme 3D+

ICA Instructor
http://www.icolorist.com/Sascha.html

Return to posts index

Tim Tyler
on Apr 18, 2012 at 2:30:48 pm

I don't agree with the those who feel the need for a Lite forum.

Lite is different because "it limits projects to SD and HD resolutions, a single processing GPU and a single RED rocket card. Stereoscopic 3D features, 2K, noise reduction, power mastering, remote grading and sharing projects with an external database server" are also not included with Lite.

It would appear that the other 98% of Resolve is identical regardless of the version. 98% Of the existing threads in the now non-Lite forum apply to the Lite software version.

I can understand that the pro colorists might want to avoid newbie threads, but unfortunately the influx of amateur users is a direct result of BMD's decision to offer the software at no cost.

Two forums is just going to confuse things.

Tim

Return to posts index

Margus Voll
on Apr 18, 2012 at 3:08:44 pm

Problem was that forum was saturated with questions that were explained in manual clearly
and real questions did not get "face time" so to say.

I think this was the first thing why the idea started to separate forums.

--

Margus

http://iconstudios.eu

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Apr 18, 2012 at 5:29:41 pm

We consider this a process. If two forums doesn't work, it's easy enough to go back to just one.

We've seen this play out in a number of different ways. For example, we have had the web's largest communities for Final Cut Pro and After Effects for some time. "Basics" versions of those broke out, and remain quite active many years later.

Now that you've brought it up, though -- should we name it "Resolve Basics" rather than "Resolve Lite"?

In either case, we tend to move more slowly than some people might prefer. We want to be sure that requests are generally representative, and not just a few loud voices. We also take into account traffic from people who don't post. Over time, our goal is to make things work for as many as people, which it mostly does.

Three last things to consider:

1) This is the second most-trafficked forum in the COW. Obviously not by number of posts, but number of people reading. Our guess is that that number will increase with each new release, and, frankly, with the number of people who will be getting Resolve free with their Blackmagic Cinema Cameras.

2) There's no way that separate forums will ever keep them from overlapping. Some people who consider themselves beginners can start with very complicated questions, and so will post them in the Basics forum.

But you have to also be aware that some of the people posting what look like incredibly basic questions are in fact quite advanced colorists who have worked in facilities on other systems, all of which were configured by The Man. They are looking at striking out on their own, and having to consider configuration for the first time in a long time.

We've actually seen this all over the COW for a very long time, as the top supervising engineer for a major network will dip in to ask a basic storage or I/O question because their digital transition is in the early stages.

3) If you see a question that has been asked before, DON'T ANSWER IT, especially not with a response along the lines of "Look it up, newb." Let somebody who WANTS to answer it do the posting, and move on to the next thread. It's part of the process of letting the group's expertise refresh itself as the community grows -- especially one growing as quickly as this one is.

Anyway, we hope that separating forums helps, but we still rely on you to cut people a little slack as all of this settles out. We also rely on you to keep giving us your advice as we try to make the COW work for you the best we possibly can.

Regards,

Tim Wilson
Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW Magazine
Twitter: timdoubleyou

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Apr 18, 2012 at 8:12:52 pm

[Tim Wilson] "should we name it "Resolve Basics" rather than "Resolve Lite"?"

Kind of prefer "Basics" as it works against a segregation mentality, and falls into the pattern seen with Final Cut "Basics". I might almost suggest "Fundamentals" and hope it suggested that configuration issues would migrate there, as well. Maybe there just should be a "hot" button to the manual and config guide?

But anyone who thinks that being bothered with low-level (fundamental) issues is a waste of time hasn't been around very long, either. Fresh questions are great... but not when the topic has been re-opened every day for the past 6 years.

jPo

You mean "Old Ben"? Ben Kenobi?

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Apr 20, 2012 at 8:49:32 pm

I have to say. Having just stepped in to the LITE forum, this dividing line is making a lot of sense. It's not so much a division between people who own the app or are experts or not. But rather between those who respect and understand the configuration requirements, and take resolve seriously as a professional application. And those that just think it should work on their machine, without regard to configuration or what a color correction application is meant to be used for.

In other words, supported uses vs. unsupported uses.

I look forward to less off-the-wall configuration questions and more discussion of techniques and technologies.

online editor | colorist | VFX | BD author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index

Peter Berg
on Apr 18, 2012 at 7:34:09 pm

I agree with Tim. Lite is functionally not really different than normal Resolve. Now valid software function questions can get lost in one forum or the other (or I have to spend double the time sifting through both forums).

One forum worked for me. But I agree that a 'Beginner', 'Basics' or 'System Setup' sub-forum can help if people don't like the system config questions. Other forums have a sticky tab at the top that has FAQ. That would be helpful, as we could link to the Blackmagic config doc. If it's covered in that doc, than the post is unnecessary. If it's not (and alot of things are not covered) than the post could be a valid question.

-Peter

Return to posts index

andrew sableton
on Apr 18, 2012 at 7:44:06 pm

Would be nice to have a button to turn on or off the ability to "View All" or "View Lite only "View Full only".

A

Return to posts index

andrew sableton
on Apr 18, 2012 at 11:11:49 pm

Furthermore if there must be two forums the only split that really makes sense to me is a separate "Configuration" forum. Unless you need a few specific things that the full version offers - say 3D or working in 2K, the Lite version will offer everything a fully professional colorist needs and works exactly the same. I have used both on HD material and see zero difference (I know there are some things such as you can only add one additonal graphics card in Lite but many "full" version users only have one additional card anyway).

In short, if you are working in 2D HD, there may be no reason for you to buy the full version. You could easily grade broadcast TV for many years with such a setup and be a very experienced, skilled and knowledgeable colorist with a properly setup color grading suite and be using "Lite". Most likely you would not be using the "Lite" forum in this case.....

Davinci Lite is not the same as "Final Cut Express" for example.

A

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]