FORUMS: list search recent posts

White balance / remove color cast

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Mc Guire
White balance / remove color cast
on Apr 16, 2012 at 7:52:43 pm

Hi, is there a way to remove a color cast (in shadows or highlight) in DaVinci Resolve with the color picker, just like I do in Avid Media Composer?

I know I can export my cc from AVID, but I just can't seem to restore (bad) white balances in Resolve.

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
Re: White balance / remove color cast
on Apr 17, 2012 at 12:07:12 am

Try the auto color button.

online editor | colorist | VFX | BD author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index

Eric Mc Guire
on Apr 17, 2012 at 12:35:00 am

Thanks Juan! The auto color works ok, but I was looking for a way to use the color picker in Resolve, which I must admit I have no idea how to use it :)

The Avid way of removing color casts from highlights mids and shadows is so efficient, but I am training myself to do everything in Resolve. Thanks for the reply

Return to posts index

John Michaels
on Apr 17, 2012 at 2:14:38 am

Save for the "Auto Color," you'll need to balance your image "manually" using the lift/gamma/gain controls and referencing the waveforms. This could be a great way to learn Davinci anyway!

Return to posts index

Darren Mostyn
on Apr 18, 2012 at 3:43:28 pm

select the 'white' area with your cursor and then press auto-colour. If you dont select anything with your cursor it balances the whole picture, if you select a highlight it balances the whites.

Post Production in Brighton
Follow us @onlinecreative
http://www.online-creative.com

Return to posts index

Eric Mc Guire
on Apr 18, 2012 at 9:51:58 pm

This looks exactly like what I'm trying to do, but I'm not sure I'm doing it right. You mean I select a highlight in the viewer, with my color picker, then push autocolor?

I have Resolve Lite with no surface control.

Can you elaborate more please about the procedure, because when I'm doing it, it balances the shadows too.

Cheers

Return to posts index

Eric Mc Guire
on Jul 13, 2012 at 2:52:11 pm

Ok got it... I am not a colorist, so here is the technique I was looking for:

1. open the vectorscope window
2. isolate a neutral tone (with a power window or find a good reference frame)
3. bring the balance back in the middle with rgb offsets, gamma, etc.

Thanks for your help!

Return to posts index

Philipp Meier
on Aug 13, 2012 at 11:35:33 pm

I'd also love to hear a more detailed description of this particular workflow. How exactly do you select a part of the image with the cursor? Would be a quick way to get the white balance in the correct ballpark if I could simply select a white or neutral grey spot I'm the image and white balance for that automatically.

Return to posts index

Derek Forreal
on Aug 15, 2012 at 8:35:02 am

first post on this great forum!

i'm brand new to the world of video and tbh it's very much an occasional hobby for me.

i'm into 3D though, and spend lots of time colour correcting stills (both photos and renders), so from that POV, CCing video is a very similar (if not identical?) process.

i thought i'd bump this thread as i'm having similar issues to the OP with regards to correcting white balance. i work only with footage from my 5D, and if for example i take a still from some footage, open this in any imaging editing program, it's easy to correct the white balance.

i've tried doing the correction in Resolve but the final result never seems to look as natural though.

i also tried the Auto Color but it doesn't seem to have much of an effect.

any other tips?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]