FORUMS: list search recent posts

Resolve NAB Speculation

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Nordin
Resolve NAB Speculation
on Apr 10, 2012 at 4:27:54 am

Today its one week before another NAB show. The last two years in a row, BMD has kicked some serious ass at that show with major product rollouts. Not the least of which has been some killer rollouts of Resolve for Mac.

Since 8.2 just came out, I'm wondering if the folks over in Davinci labs have another hat-trick they are planning to reveal? Anybody heard any rumors? It is hard to believe that BMD will meekly sit in the fence this year and let Adobe steal all the thunder with whatever they have planned for Premiere/Speedgrade (if anything in CS6).

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
Re: Resolve NAB Speculation
on Apr 10, 2012 at 4:41:28 am

The old saying goes, anyone willing to talk doesn't know... and those who do know can't talk. That said I can talk cause I don't know squat.

I'm sure Resolve will see some new features announced.

I'm sure they will focus much more on the Windows release than on mac.

I'd bet well see 4k & XYZ 12bit output with the soon to be shipping Decklink 4k card.

But most of BMDs NAB annoucements have to do more with their hardware offerings. Looking forward to see how they utilize tech acquired from teranex.

I would like to see a price drop with maybe a design revision to the full resolve panels. There were rumors floating around that they would be introducing a new lower cost panel... which Peter or someone from Resolve team squashed... but that doesn't mean a price drop isn't out of the question.

All in all resolve is a fairly feature rich product... there are feature request threads floating around... some of those may pop in.

In my fevered dreams I could see them borrowing some of the teranex algorithms to do frame rate conversion inside of resolve... but that is baseless speculation on my part.

Return to posts index

Colin Travers
on Apr 10, 2012 at 5:35:49 am

64 bit i could imagine possibly being implemented..at least I hope.

DaVinci 8.2 OSX 10.7.3
MacPro 12-core 5,1 2.66 Ghz
32GB RAM x4 8GB
Software RAID 0 (8TB Internal)
Nvidia GT120/GTX580
BMD Extreme3D
HDlink3D DisplayPort
Dreamcolor/Panny VT25
Tangent Wave / Wacom

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Apr 10, 2012 at 5:40:44 am

Windows release is already 64bit. Question is does BMD deem it worth the time & resources to make mac version 64bit? Given the way the apple winds are blowing, I would put a very low priority on that. So unless it's an easy change... probably not. Again all baseless speculation.

Return to posts index

Robert Houllahan
on Apr 10, 2012 at 1:01:44 pm

Rendering audio ..... please...;-)

-Rob-

Robert Houllahan
Director / Colorist
Cinelab Inc.
http://www.cinelab.com

MAHC-PRO 6-Core 3X GTX285 20Tb SAS Wave Panel Panny 11UK SDI Plasma.

Return to posts index

Vladimir Kucherov
on Apr 10, 2012 at 3:08:58 pm

Rendering audio, good speed conversion, and working with clip filenames as opposed to reels for conform are my top 3 hopes.

Add alpha channel reading for easy title and graphic support and I can easily finish right out of Resolve.

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
Re: solve NAB Speculation
on Apr 10, 2012 at 3:29:00 pm

...and it should be cheaper

A slice of color...

DaVinci 8.2.1 OSX 10.7.2
MacPro 5.1 2x2,4 24GB
RAID0 8TB
GTX 470 / Quadro 4000
Extreme 3D+

ICA Instructor
http://www.icolorist.com/Sascha.html

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Apr 10, 2012 at 4:07:20 pm

[Sascha Haber] "...and it should be cheaper"

The licensed software?

The least expensive part of the entire grade chain at the moment....

jPo

You mean "Old Ben"? Ben Kenobi?

Return to posts index

Peter Berg
on Apr 10, 2012 at 5:42:52 pm

Sorry jPo... but I totally agree with Sascha on this one. Resolve is just way too expensive. To have to pay $0 for the software is just too much. Who do they think we are? People with some money lying around or something? Blackmagic should think about reducing the price. Maybe a $100 mail in rebate on Resolve Lite? Any why do they not include a decklink card with Resolve Lite? I mean come on... I don't really know what they are doing over there. To have to pay for professional color grading software? Why?

And I'm sure they are expanding their support team as well. With all the new users out there, I'm sure they are adding more staff to the support team so they can help the users of their product.

-Peter

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Apr 10, 2012 at 9:49:28 pm

[Peter Berg] "With all the new users out there, I'm sure they are adding more staff to the support team so they can help the users of their [LITE] product."

Loll.

No, I'm actually lounging (lolling) around here with a Caipirinha in my hand. Organic cane sugar.
Ah, cachaça... to heck with Montana, maybe movin' to Brazil soon, gonna be a mental toss flycoon.

jPo

You mean "Old Ben"? Ben Kenobi?

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
on Apr 13, 2012 at 6:29:59 am

haha, you got it :)

A slice of color...

DaVinci 8.2.1 OSX 10.7.2
MacPro 5.1 2x2,4 24GB
RAID0 8TB
GTX 470 / Quadro 4000
Extreme 3D+

ICA Instructor

Return to posts index

Mike Most
on Apr 10, 2012 at 3:29:26 pm

You've always been able to use clip filenames for conforming, as long as those names are put into a comments line in the EDL. Or am I misunderstanding what you're asking for?

Return to posts index

Vladimir Kucherov
on Apr 10, 2012 at 3:34:50 pm

It's more of for working with XML workflow and cameras that don't embed reel names correctly (5d the biggest offender).

In Resolve, an XML clip that comes in without a reel name is unstable, subject to auto re-conforming if I add new footage in. Not to mention, if it doesn't conform, I can't even tell what the clip is supposed to be if I navigate to it in the timeline.

All I'm really talking about is being able to chose whether I see the "reel" field or the "filename" field of my XML in the "Conform EDL" box.

Return to posts index

stig olsen
on Apr 10, 2012 at 10:43:49 pm

BMD should not use all their valuable time improving XML and advanced support functions for FCP anymore in my opinion.
"Everyone" knows that they are about to die completely, (even though the lovers will not accept the way of thinking) and if BMD could focus completely on other editing solutions as Avid, the development will go much faster. Your clients? They will sooner or later need to put their money in other systems as well.

Return to posts index

Joseph Mastantuono
on Apr 11, 2012 at 4:56:06 am

Could never get into caipirinhas, or cachaça. Give me a good rhum over it any day.

Don't expect more XML support, business the support in there already is good (if you don't think so, walk back to the early color days with me).

For me, 4k monitoring is what I want. Just so I can say to clients, Yes we're monitoring in 4k.

Joseph Mastantuono
http://www.goodpost.net
Color Grading & Post Production Consulting

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Apr 11, 2012 at 7:29:20 pm

With the BM DeckLink 4K looming, what are you folks using as a monitor?
We were wondering about this when we bought a Rockets and a BOB box.
Currently using Flanders.

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Apr 11, 2012 at 7:45:52 pm

4k is almost all projection. Will see at nab. But no real point to 4k in anything under 50".

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
on Apr 13, 2012 at 6:33:15 am

A Red 4K laser projector of course

A slice of color...

DaVinci 8.2.1 OSX 10.7.2
MacPro 5.1 2x2,4 24GB
RAID0 8TB
GTX 470 / Quadro 4000
Extreme 3D+

ICA Instructor

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
on Apr 13, 2012 at 6:32:36 am

FCPX will not die.
It will be used for semi-pro stuff like wedding videos, corporate stuff and child birthdays.
Apple was smart enough to serve the market of upcoming media people and not listen to the few "artists".
Hey, they are a stock driven company in the end.
Resolve will cater the same group.
Sell cheap, sell plenty.

A slice of color...

DaVinci 8.2.1 OSX 10.7.2
MacPro 5.1 2x2,4 24GB
RAID0 8TB
GTX 470 / Quadro 4000
Extreme 3D+

ICA Instructor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>