FORUMS: list search recent posts

LUT for cineform profile

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
josh phoenix
LUT for cineform profile
on Apr 4, 2012 at 10:51:45 pm

I dont know much about LUT's, and to be honest I am not a real colorist in any way. From my experience with LUT's, they dont really work for me. I seem to get better results just adjusting luma/gamma/gain on my own. My problem is that I have been using the 5dMk 11 with the cineform encoding which shoots flat and low saturation in the hopes that you can pull more dynamic range from the file. Im noticing that I can in fact do this, but I am havin a ton of noise and overall image degradation even when my ISO is only 320(this is a dividend of the native iso)

Does anyone have experience with this specific workflow?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Carl Ryan Stemple
Re: LUT for cineform profile
on Apr 5, 2012 at 5:52:38 am

It's not a LUT for CineForm exactly, but there's a great thread here where awesome Cow users have given links to download (and instructions to install) their LUTs for CineSTYLE.

Again, it's not exactly the same as CineForm, but it's pretty darn close. If you can't find a CineForm specific LUT, I'd give these guys a whirl!

--
Carl Ryan Stemple
Color | Edit | VFX
digitalbarbershop.com

Return to posts index

Bill Ravens
Re: LUT for cineform profile
on Apr 5, 2012 at 10:36:58 am

IMHO, the problem is not noise due to high ISO that you're experiencing. The problem you have is endemic to all 8-bit native acquisition codecs, especially when captured at a reduced color space like 420 or 422. The moment you start color grading the digital data, you introduce noise because you're trying to extract data that isn't there to begin with. You can mitigate the problem by working in 10-bit color space, but, even that isn't going to ameliorate your noise problem. The best you can hope for is to use a quality denoiser like "Neatvideo".

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]