FORUMS: list search recent posts

slog lut

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sebastian Laurens
slog lut
on Apr 4, 2012 at 5:41:17 am

hi
i am looking at shooting a short film with the f3 and a gemini recorder here and was simply wondering if, when i wanna grade the footage in resolve, i need to apply a lut (like s-log to rec709) to bring it into a linear color space or if that is optional? which lut would i have to use and where would i get it from? hope someone can help me with that

sebastian

Return to posts index

dermot shane
Re: slog lut
on Apr 4, 2012 at 3:13:51 pm

I did a film recently shot on F3, i graded from the camera orignal media, and ignored the Slog Lut, it seems to be best suited for getting the images into the off-line system's comfort zone... and to reduce producer wobblies to a minimum...

The LUTs are avb somewhere on Sony's site, i have them as well for Iridas tho

cavet is that i didn't use Resolve for the F3 film i graded, so not sure how the LUTs will play there.

d

Return to posts index

Sebastian Laurens
on Apr 4, 2012 at 3:25:15 pm

hi
thanx 4 replying, so u didnt use any luts and still got optimum results in the grade? or would it make it easier with a lut?

Return to posts index

dermot shane
on Apr 4, 2012 at 6:09:57 pm

Personal pref + how flexiable your choice of software is in dealing with log math... but yea i prefered working with the flat images.. i was working in a DCi2K project and gradeing on a P3 mon...

if you are targeting a HD finish, and have limited time, then maybe gradeing with the LUT makes sense just to get you to a place the producer & DP are Ok with straight off the mark, but not my first choice..

d

Return to posts index

Fred Ricci
on Apr 7, 2012 at 11:25:30 am

Hi there. Do you have the slog to rec 709 lut that would work with resolve? Would you share it?
Thanks.

NEHALEM OCTO 2,26
GT 120
GTX 285
8 Giga RAM
SOFT RAID 8 Tera
Wave
Eizo 243 + Hdlink displayport
DAV, COLOR, FINAL CUT AND MEDIA COMP

Return to posts index

dermot shane
on Apr 8, 2012 at 10:51:58 pm

here's the SLog viewing LUT i used in my mon;
3959_slogvers.blackmagic.cube.zip

Not even sure where i got it from anymore, might have been Sony... and i didn't use it, it's Slog to 709, and i was working in P3 anyway

But it is what the off-line folks were using, so i could play the conform for the Dir & DP with the mon in 709, and have it look like what they were used to seeing... then i ignored it and went to work with the flat images and the mon in P3 ;-)

d

Return to posts index

Fred Ricci
on Apr 9, 2012 at 8:23:09 am

Thanks Dermot, I'll test it tomorrow.

NEHALEM OCTO 2,26
GT 120
GTX 285
8 Giga RAM
SOFT RAID 8 Tera
Wave