FORUMS: list search recent posts

Tracking a window over the length of a shot, but in a separate editing clips.

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dmitry Kitsov
Tracking a window over the length of a shot, but in a separate editing clips.
on Apr 4, 2012 at 12:00:24 am

I am sure I am missing something obvious.
I am relighting a shot and tracking a power window on the actresses back (to lower the light intensity). There are four segments in a timeline that come from the same clip. Naturally, the grade is spanning over all of them. I have created a power window in a first instance of the clip and used Tracking to make the shape follow the outlines of the back. Now I go to the next instance of the clip and the shape is now in the wrong place as the actress moved while we were looking at a different angle of the scene. I readjust it and add a dynamic (also added a mark at the end of the previous instance). Continue tracking and so on. When I go back to the 1st instance of the clip the power window outlines are in the wrong place (but is in the correct place for where the power window is in the next instance of the clip. What am I missing?

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Robbie Carman
Re: Tracking a window over the length of a shot, but in a separate editing clips.
on Apr 4, 2012 at 12:04:36 am

after applying the primary grade create a new version on the other clips - the additional clips will have the original primary grade but now you'll be able to apply secondaries to each one of the "instances" of the clip separately with out the linked behavior your seeing.

Robbie Carman
----------------
Colorist and Author
Check out my new Books:
Video Made on a Mac
Apple Pro Training Series DVDSP
From Still To Motion
An Editors Guide To Adobe Premiere Pro

Twitter
Blog

Return to posts index

Dmitry Kitsov
Re: Tracking a window over the length of a shot, but in a separate editing clips.
on Apr 4, 2012 at 12:19:20 am

That is what I did (rather ungrouped them after all other grades)but this seems to be a workaround rather then a consistent behavior. Why won't dynamics work for windows? Interestingly if you turn on autokeyframe and move a point of the window it will be reflected in a dynamics timeline, but same behavior of the previous adjustments to power windows not sticking.

Return to posts index

John Michaels
on Apr 4, 2012 at 12:15:15 am

I've encountered this as well. I assumed the tracking data would be tied to the timecode or something, but it seems this is not the case. Versioning works, but obviously any changes to the secondary is then not matched to the other shots which is kind of a disappointment.

Return to posts index

Gabriele Turchi
on Apr 4, 2012 at 5:01:47 am

tracking data is not tied to timecode ,

sounds to me on the second shot (that probably skipped few frames (continuity wise) your are adjusting the position of the power window , that , if done in global mode will offset the position of the power window globally ,

if you track only using dynamics will work no problem ,

or, track the shot in the master session , and you will find it tracked in the conform properly

g

Davinci Resolve Control Surface
MacPro
Cubix desktop 4
2 Red Rockets
GTX470+GTX470+GTX470
24GB RAM
HP Dreamcolor
Panasonic 58PF Plasma
Ultrascope

Return to posts index

michael stirling
on Apr 4, 2012 at 10:47:54 am

Weird - You are describing a method I use most days with total success.

The only thing i can see in your method is you say that in the 2nd instance you move the mask then add a dynamic mark, it should be the other way round - Add the Dynamic mark to the first frame of the new instance before moving the window

M

Return to posts index

Vladimir Kucherov
on Apr 4, 2012 at 3:41:20 pm

I think this is the problem - dynamic should be added first, then make the move after that.

Return to posts index

Dmitry Kitsov
on Apr 4, 2012 at 4:43:04 pm

Unfortunately this behavior happens regardless of my adding a dynamic before or after the move. It even happens with autokeyframing turned on.

Return to posts index

Dmitry Kitsov
on Apr 4, 2012 at 6:01:46 pm

Ok so I figured the problem: I was working not with clips that were linked to a single source file (red brick) but rather the clips that were grouped manually (red outline) because the section came as an EDL conform.
What works with aaf will not work in my case. I fail to see ( tough I am sure there is a reason beyond my technical comprehension) why the behavior cannot be the same for the grouped clips.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]