FORUMS: list search recent posts

Import Final Cut XML into Resolve yeilds some files unlinked... manual relink?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Derek Branscombe
Import Final Cut XML into Resolve yeilds some files unlinked... manual relink?
on Apr 3, 2012 at 8:29:59 pm

My specific problem is that when I import my XML file into Resolve, it does link up to many of the clips (about half of them) - see the photo. I'm just getting familiar with resolve (and color correction in general) so my knowledge is super limited here... but I need to get this sequence color corrected for a friend ASAP.

It says there is a timecode error (timecode extents don't match), so I'm guessing there is no easy way... I don't mind manually relinking.

All the footage is DSLR stuff so there's no real timecode to begin with... not sure how to fix this!

Also if anybody has a good tutorial about Final Cut / Resolve workflow I'd be eager to see it. Is it easy to get the color corrected footage back into FCP?

Thanks,
Derek

Derek Branscombe
Photographer, Filmmaker, Student
Concordia MHSoC 2014

Return to posts index

Andrew Anderson
Re: Import Final Cut XML into Resolve yeilds some files unlinked... manual relink?
on Apr 3, 2012 at 11:10:25 pm

Try reel number support

/%R*.*

I think should help

Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
Re: Import Final Cut XML into Resolve yeilds some files unlinked... manual relink?
on Apr 5, 2012 at 8:05:12 am

Is the project frame rate and that of the clips the same? Also, enable embedded timecode and reel name support.

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

Derek Branscombe
on Apr 7, 2012 at 7:31:40 pm

Well I sort of figured it out, I don't really know what the problem was. Basically I just copied all of the edits in the FCP sequence into a new sequence, without audio, and it linked up to everything.

But the problems don't stop there... I've now color corrected everything and need to get this film up online.... The problem is that if I render and export an XML and open in FCP it doesn't work... either some of the clips are missing, or there is a few black frames in between many of them, or a clip is repeated two or three times. In either instance - I can't synch to the audio track without re-editing the whole thing!

Very frusterating, I've spent many many hours on this in the last 24 hours and I'm at the last straw.

I need a QUICK fix, even if it's not the 'right one'. Can you not finish at all in Resolve? If I could just export the whole sequence as a .mov it would maybe help, I could just bring it in like that into FCP.

Thank you,
Derek

Derek Branscombe
Photographer, Filmmaker, Student
Concordia MHSoC 2014

Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
on Apr 8, 2012 at 4:32:35 am

It is possible to successfully export an XML out of FCP 7, import that into Resolve 8.1.1, have it match up to all clips. Then grade clips in Resolve, render them out as individual shots with handles, export an XML out of Resolve and import that into FCP 7. This returned XML correctly links to the graded shots.

All this works and I have just finished 4 episodes of a 8 part series with this workflow. Apart from the occasional mismatch - which could be traced to sloppy labeling or no timecode - I haven't seen the range of issues you describe.

You problems seem to stem from the fact that your original source files do not have a reel and timecode. And/or that you have mixed frame rates. You also need to ensure that you do not choose to automatically add clips to media pool when importing XML into Resolve. But, ensure that all your clips are in one place when still in the FCP 7 timeline, then import clips into Resolve's media pool and then import the XML. It will link to any clip from the media pool.

Also, render all the shots in one go and then immediately make an XML.

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]