FORUMS: list search recent posts

Resolve Video monitoring MacBookPro?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marcus Moore
Resolve Video monitoring MacBookPro?
on Mar 27, 2012 at 4:34:37 pm

I've been doing research and can't seem to find the definitive answer I'm looking for. Working on a current generation 17" MBP.

Is there currently ANY way, either via Thunderbolt or the ExpressCard3/4 slot, to monitor DaVinci Resolve output to a broadcast monitor? I'm currently using the Matrox MX02 mini which I know doesn't work.

There's some info to suggest you can monitor via the Thunderbolt UltraStudio 3D, but there's no documentation to support that.

I've also seen some posts around the web suggesting that a Decklink card could be put in an external housing and connected via ExpressCard or TB, but haven't found any solid info that this works either.

I'm only just getting into Resolve, but it's killing me not using my broadcast monitor. If I end up doing a lot more grading, I'll eventually buy into a MacPro again, but for now I'm looking for a solution using my current machine.

Any help much appreciated.

Marcus Moore
Disproportionate Pictures

Return to posts index

Eric Johnson
Re: Resolve Video monitoring MacBookPro?
on Mar 27, 2012 at 5:16:44 pm

you need to read the DaVinci Config Guide as created by BMD... They clearly state what is needed for a MBP Resolve.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Mar 27, 2012 at 5:28:12 pm

I've read through the guide several times, and they make no explicit mention of being able to do video monitoring in their MacBookPro or iMac orientations.

I'm running the software just fine, it's only monitoring that I'm trying to find the solution for. Considering that I can monitor 1080 from my MX02, I cannot imagine that there is a technical limitation preventing monitoring from Resolve on a MBP. Real-time playback performance my suffer in heavy grades, but beyond that I can't imagine the limitation...

Return to posts index

Eric Johnson
on Mar 27, 2012 at 6:00:51 pm

You should re read it.... pg 21 & 22...

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Mar 27, 2012 at 6:14:04 pm

Has there been an update to this document?

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/media/1764189/DaVinci_Resolve_8.0_Mac_Conf...

If not, then the only thing I can glean is that you're trying to get me to come to the conclusion that broadcast monitoring is not supported.

Return to posts index

Eric Johnson
on Mar 27, 2012 at 6:42:51 pm

That document is 3 official versions of the software out of date... They have had Config guides for 8.1, 8.1.1 and now 8.2 since then.

So you could take another look at the new one.

Return to posts index

Carl Ryan Stemple
on Mar 27, 2012 at 6:42:52 pm

Hey there, Marcus

You seem to be reading the Resolve 8.0 manual - we're up to 8.2 now! Here ya go:

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/media/3358646/Resolve%20Mac%20Config%20Gui...

Check out pages 21-23. That should clarify everything for you. In short, yes you indeed can use the Ultrastudio 3D, with supported BMD certification!

--
Carl Ryan Stemple
Color | Edit | VFX
digitalbarbershop.com

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Mar 27, 2012 at 6:55:49 pm

Thanks very much guys. I knew there must be a disconnect somewhere. This is very good news.

Now I gotta sell my MX02!

Return to posts index

David Jackson
on Mar 28, 2012 at 8:52:27 am

Just to say that I am using the MBP / Thunderbolt display / UltraStudio 3D / JVC Broadcast monitor setup with Resolve (and Avid for that matter) and it works very well.

It's a niggle not to be able to use my old 30" NEC monitor for the GUI, but the Apple Display is fine really, and I also highly recommend the Promise Pegasus RAID units - super fast and ultra reliable.

One thing to watch for with Thunderbolt which doesn’t seem widely known - the close presence of a mobile phone to a TB lead can lead to disconnects. Once I'd pinned down that issue the system has worked superbly.

Return to posts index

andrew sableton
Re: solve Video monitoring MacBookPro?
on Mar 28, 2012 at 8:44:52 pm

Love to know how your performance is with this setup.....

Return to posts index

David Jackson
on Mar 28, 2012 at 10:19:15 pm

Inevitably it's not exactly smokin'.... that Resolve is willing and able to use the MBP video card is brilliant, but it's not going to win any punching contests with a Cubix-equipped system, or realistically even a Mac Pro with one CUDA card. But it does work, reliably enough, so long as you don't need realtime playback on anything but the simplest of grades.

Return to posts index

Paul Provost
on Mar 29, 2012 at 5:10:58 am

Intensity extreme thunderbolt works as well if you don't need sdi. Great for training, demo etc.

http://www.postandbeam.tv
grade and finish @ post + beam
http://www.facebook.com/pages/post-beam/137967176232067

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Mar 29, 2012 at 2:25:15 pm

The Intensity Extreme works with Resolve as well? I wish BlackMagic would make it clearer which of their products work with Resolve. I don't need 2K or 3D at this point, and I'm ONLY using this device for monitoring.

Is there a clear deficiency between monitoring via component and SDI?

As to my setup, I'm actually considering selling my MBP and moving over to the iMac I just bought late last year. It's actually rated for "heavier" work in the Mac Configuration Guidelines.

Plus, with the iMac's 2 Thunderbolt ports, I'll be able to connect BOTH the UltraStudio [or whichever one I end up getting], AND my Wacom Cintiq at the same time, which would have been a challenge with MBP's one Thunderbolt port, since they're both "end of chain" devices.

Return to posts index

Paul Provost
on Mar 29, 2012 at 2:39:03 pm

Not having a Mac pro with Cuda cards is going to limit you so much that I don't think the difference between hd analog component and hd sdi is going to be a big issue. You'll be able to monitor fine.
For a small system like this the intensity should by fine. Use the extra money to get more ram, internal ssd, and WD thunderbolt external hard drive (it has two tbolt ports I think)

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Mar 29, 2012 at 3:01:21 pm

Yeah. I fully acknowledge the limitations of a system like this- but I'm just learning the software and in a year I might decide that it's not where my strength/interest lies and I should just hire someone.

If I do really take to DaVinci and some of the larger jobs potentially on the slate for the later half of the year go, then a new MacPro will definitely be the next step, along with a Tangent Wave.

Unfortunately, 2 ports on a drive doesn't solve my problem- that simply allows it to be part of the chain. With neither the Intensity or the Cintiq having a pass-through, I'd ultimately have to pick one to be at the end of the chain and then try to hook the other one up to the ExpressCard slot. That's probably would have been the Cintiq, using a ViDock and an external graphics card- ANOTHER $500!

Hooking all this gear up to my MBP was just getting too convoluted. The 2 TB ports on the iMac solves a lot of problems.

the built in SSD was the one thing I didn't have put in when I order the machine. I hope I can get that done aftermarket when I get the RAM bumped to 16GB.

Return to posts index

David Jackson
on Mar 29, 2012 at 3:06:35 pm

So long as you're not a major butter-fingers, swapping out the RAM and SSD on your laptop is a doddle. Just watch where those little screws go when they fall off your desk.....

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Mar 29, 2012 at 3:28:43 pm

RAM is easy. The HD I'm a bit more dubious about, and might leave to a 3rd party who makes that their stock in trade.

Return to posts index

David Jackson
on Mar 29, 2012 at 3:33:41 pm

It's really easy, trust me. If they put it in the manual, and if doing it doesn't void the warranty, it is by definition easy - these are Apple users we're talking about remember ;-)

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Mar 29, 2012 at 4:30:15 pm

I'll take a look at the procedure.

What's the maximum recommended internal SSD you can get now? I was insane and paid the $1100 for the 500GB SSD on my MBP. Never regretted it.

M

Return to posts index

Paul Provost
on Mar 29, 2012 at 4:51:16 pm

you can get a 500gb ssd at newegg.com for about half that now....

Return to posts index

David Jackson
on Mar 30, 2012 at 10:14:48 am

The golden rule - never order add-ons from Apple! RAM and hard drives are terrible value if you order them as part of a computer purchase. I think most people know this now, but in case not, it's worth saying again.......

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Mar 30, 2012 at 3:37:42 pm

RAM is definitely out. I did get the SSD from them last time at great cost, as it was my understanding that the MBP was a difficult machine to modify, AND a job pretty much paid for the purchase anyway...

If I've got a 1TB HD in the iMac now, can that be moved to the second internal bay, or are they different sizes/configurations?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]