Re: Film grain
on Mar 26, 2012 at 11:02:02 pm

Cinegrain is $2999

This one is $129 if funded with Kickstarter

Return to posts index

Greg Turner
on Mar 26, 2012 at 11:43:43 pm

actually, $2999 is their most expensive version, that's what people David Fincher use. Their cheapest version is $299 and comes on 50GB harddrive because it's too big to digitally download so it's at least 10 times more content than any digital download option.

Return to posts index

Alexander Higgins
on Mar 26, 2012 at 11:32:12 pm

Though I admire all the Kickstarter Entrepreneurs, I have never found laying over a layer of Grain no matter where it is from anywhere adequate for grain matching.. If you just want an effect, BLAM, grain, then this would work, but it will never help with the intricate grain matching techniques you need to employ for DI, and TV and Film Compositing.

Return to posts index

John Michaels
on Mar 27, 2012 at 2:41:40 am

I'll never understand why people go through so much trouble to try to make their stuff look like film. If you want your footage to look like film, why not shoot it on film?

If I want my chicken to taste like steak, I don't coat it in A1, I grill a freakin' steak.

Return to posts index

Chris Martin
on Mar 27, 2012 at 4:23:32 am

John, couldn't have said it better myself. Amen!

Cheers, Chris

Return to posts index

Gustavo Bermudas
on Mar 27, 2012 at 4:58:09 am

I'll never understand why people go through so much trouble to try to make their stuff look like film. If you want your footage to look like film, why not shoot it on film?

All very nice and righteous, but I bet you won't say that to a client in his/her face if they shot digitaly and ask you to add some film grain, at that point you have take it to AE to add some simulated grain or pay cinegrain to add some.
I thought this was a good deal and many people on this forum can benefit from this, since it's 4K, and even though Cinespace is $299, they restrict that to project with a budget no more of 10K and it's only 1080.
This one is restriction-free and 4K, they also seem to do some interesting FCP plugins.
http://www.crumplepop.com/
I have no financial interest on this people, thought a lot of indie folks may benefit from this, as it seems is the majority of Davinci user base. I myself being asked several times to add grain, and if you have a problem with that, maybe you should try posting a Pablo, Lustre or Baselight forum, although I was working on a Pablo when recently I was asked to add film grain on a RED project.
Personay, I love film better than any other format, but I'm glad it's dead because I'm tired of losing deals since I don't have a scanner and all those projects at the end gets hijacked by the ones that do since they offer free scanning if they do their color correction with them.

C'est la vie...

Return to posts index

John Michaels
on Mar 27, 2012 at 5:10:44 am

Film is dead? ;)

Anyway, it sounds like I may have made you angry, and I apologize if I did. That was not at all my intention. I understand clients like this stuff, and my earlier post was more of an eyeroll at the "we'll fix it in post" mentality of many clients and film students than anything else.

Return to posts index

Gustavo Bermudas
on Mar 27, 2012 at 5:18:08 am

It's all good : )

It is kind of dead, right?

Return to posts index

Carl Ryan Stemple
on Mar 27, 2012 at 5:25:42 am

Absolutely in agreement with Gustavo on this one. It's pretty easy to say "just shoot with film," but when you've got a client (or better yet, yourself) caught in a situation where they WANT a filmic, analogue texture, but can only afford to shoot in HD...well, you do what you can do.

From that stand point, this seems like a really killer solution, and I certainly plan on getting my hands on that 4K scan. The singular issue that I have with every film grain simulation is that, from my perspective at least, there's a very tactile difference between anything we can conjure up and the real-deal.

There's a very subtle...fluidity to the grain in chemically processed celluloid that seems to flow naturally with the motions on screen. Most of the time, an overlay will give the illusion of this effect - but I've never seen a digital grain simulation that's able to 100% accurately match it.

--
Carl Ryan Stemple
Color | Edit | VFX
digitalbarbershop.com

Return to posts index

Knut Jansohn
on Mar 27, 2012 at 11:41:35 am

It is not to make it looks like film only but maybe you would like to make it looks less plain and slick.

Therefor you can get this for free here:
http://www.thefoundry.co.uk/products/nuke/assets/

Return to posts index

Thorsten Vöth
on Jan 28, 2013 at 2:23:53 pm

hey knut!
thanks.
but can u use these files in davinci? if - how do u import them??

greetz
thorsten

Return to posts index

Knut Jansohn
on Jan 28, 2013 at 3:50:56 pm

Yes, easy to use in resolve.
Follow the manual and advise from cinegrain.

K.

Return to posts index

Greg Turner
on Mar 27, 2012 at 4:07:24 pm

CineGrain is the best option for high end post houses. (The content is half a terabyte and comes on harddrives in 4k.)

And http://www.indiescans.com is the best solution for those on a budget. Directly downloadable film scans in 35mm,16mm, and 8mm.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Mar 29, 2012 at 9:34:54 pm

[Carl Ryan Stemple] "There's a very subtle...fluidity to the grain in chemically processed celluloid that seems to flow naturally with the motions on screen"

its a result of crystal clouding, which makes it difficult to exactly simulate in electronic plugins. Each emulsion has its own signature, which is further modified by where it lies on the sensinometric curve and whether the processing lab was on the numbers... temperature, fps, turbulation, chemical solutions mixed properly... only a couple of hundred variables. Plus the enhanced temporal resolution of a slightly jittering image formation target.

You don't know what you've got til its gone. Thanks Joni.

jPo

You mean "Old Ben"? Ben Kenobi?

Return to posts index

Aleksey Tarasov
on Mar 4, 2013 at 4:58:35 am

Another low-budget film grain pack (includes free 720p version)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]