We have just had the exact same issue. A huge amount of R3D material for 6 reels. Our solution was to create a project for each reel, now it runs smooth. But it's not the perfect way to work, because it's always nice to be able to use reference grabs on all reels. So i started to inestigate how to 'consolidate' the r3d material.
I found out that redcine x actually have this feature. it's called r3d trim. I have tested the entire workflow om a short timeline (just for the testing purpose). and it actually works. redcine x will generate a new folder for each clip and place a trimmed version of the original clip that folder, the name will be the same as he original.
the only issue i had, was that it seems that redcine x will ignore my handles. so i ended up with clips that had the exact lenght, not adding the 12 frames i configured it to.
BUT it conformed nicely in DaVinci, and i only had the material in the mediapoll i needed :-)
Thanks for replying Martin, that's certainly one way to tackle this problem temporary..
We ended up doing it reel by reel in each project. The ref is grab from gallery
No reply from Davinci, i wonder if they saw this thread. I know there're other users who complain the same thing. If that was the limitation in free Davinci Lite, i cant complain. But we are using fully license Davinci..i hope it performed better
Next version, i dont want to see this anymore, i hope