FORUMS: list search recent posts

monitor out?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
paulson lang
monitor out?
on Mar 26, 2012 at 4:14:04 pm

Hi all, going to grade a project for d cinema. grading on a broacast monitor.Which settings should i put on monitor out in resolve? Is yuv 422 okay for d cinema?

Thanks,
PL

Return to posts index

Robert Houllahan
Re: monitor out?
on Mar 26, 2012 at 6:44:20 pm

YUV 4:2:2 is NOT OK for D-Cinema.

-Rob-

Robert Houllahan
Director / Colorist
Cinelab Inc.
http://www.cinelab.com

MAHC-PRO 6-Core 3X GTX285 20Tb SAS Wave Panel Panny 11UK SDI Plasma.

Return to posts index

Mike Most
on Mar 26, 2012 at 7:26:50 pm

That's a bit of an overly simplistic answer, and not entirely accurate. 422 and 444 as monitoring modes differ primarily in how you feed them, what your monitor device is, and what you're proposing as a processing pipeline. There are a lot of "indie" projects that are graded in Rec709 and put through a simple transform when the DCP is made. In that scenario, 422 monitoring is perfectly acceptable provided the monitor itself is properly set up. Monitoring in 444 RGB using dual link is preferable, but for most scenes really isn't going to make any appreciable difference. If you're working in P3 on a proper monitoring device (say, a 2K DLP Cinema projector) that changes the situation, but if you're looking at a video monitor, it's not a simple answer like "422 is unacceptable" or "444 is acceptable." There's a lot of room between the two depending on who's doing the work, what they're doing it on, and the level of expectation with regard to an exact visual match to final deliverables, especially when you're talking about no-budget "indie" projects.

Return to posts index

paulson lang
on Mar 27, 2012 at 2:52:30 am

thanks for the reply. But when i selected unscaled image data option colour bars are going out of gamut. What should i do to keep the colours in the gamut irrespective of brightness values.

Return to posts index

paulson lang
on Mar 27, 2012 at 6:12:50 am

sorry for the word irrespctive..

Return to posts index

Ola Haldor Voll
on Mar 27, 2012 at 7:06:59 am

Can you adjust gamma on the monitor? After a good chat with one of the technicians at Autocue, he told me a gamma value of 2.6 was good for D-cine work. Take that as a starting point.

When I do things going to XYZ I also set the white point to 6302K, as the preset in the Autocue monitor suggests when you select D-cine color space. Depending on your monitor, this might not be available.

Return to posts index

Knut Jansohn
on Mar 27, 2012 at 11:15:04 am

Hi,

as I understand it, mixing the standards isn't a good idea.
If you want to grade in bt.709 you should set the monitoring to the approprirate adjustment. That will give you a secure foundation for converting to dci by using simply a lut (search this forum).

Regards
K

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]