FORUMS: list search recent posts

Would love to see a matte choke system in HSL qualifier

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Ruffo
Would love to see a matte choke system in HSL qualifier
on Mar 25, 2012 at 2:46:37 pm

I do find it difficult to pull clean keys using HSL - even with very well shot Red footage. In Colorista II, which i otherwise find less powerful, matte keys are very easy with their matte choking system. This is not the same as grow/shrink. Grow seems to turn noisy keys into giants blobs of noise. A good choker takes a blurred key and lets you reign it in so it does not halo. This would save em hours and hours of futzing around per project.

Return to posts index

Gabriele Turchi
Re: Would love to see a matte choke system in HSL qualifier
on Mar 25, 2012 at 4:37:13 pm

i 100% second this ,

today there are keyer that are way more powerful than the Resolve One ..

colorista is an example , but obviously SMOKE is the perfect example

i hope BMD will consider to improve the keyer

thanks
g

Davinci Resolve Control Surface
MacPro
Cubix desktop 4
2 Red Rockets
GTX470+GTX470+GTX285
24GB RAM
HP Dreamcolor
Panasonic 58PF Plasma

Return to posts index

dermot shane
on Mar 25, 2012 at 5:12:13 pm

For me Discreet's master keyer is good, as is DS's 3D keyer... pretty comparable, pretty good on most days.

And Primeatte6 and keylight plug's are also very good, and if either would be avb in Davinci i would be more likely to use Davinci for real projects rather than playtime.

But turning to the slowcooking field - Nuke's IBK is the tool that i prefer to the master keyer, 3D keyer and plug's on offer in the finishing box's when it gets to heavy lifting time.

d.

Return to posts index

Knut Jansohn
on Mar 25, 2012 at 5:49:11 pm

I like baselight's dkey. Very handy, collect simply the desired colores...
BTW: from the gradingmonitor and not from the gui (viewer)!

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
on Mar 25, 2012 at 7:56:52 pm

Yep, Scratchs new keyers are also much more effective, but i agree, using keylight or primatte would be the best.
And a proper Grow,Shrink and blur would be soooo useful.

A slice of color...

DaVinci 8.2.1 OSX 10.7.2
MacPro 5.1 2x2,4 24GB
RAID0 8TB
GTX 470 / Quadro 4000
Extreme 3D+

ICA Instructor
http://www.icolorist.com/Sascha.html

Return to posts index

Mel Matsuoka
on Mar 26, 2012 at 10:29:00 pm

I know this will never happen, but in my dreams, Resolve would have some sort of implementation of the "localized segmentation" roto technology that Adobe is using for their Rotobrush feature in After Effects.

It's funny that when I'm neck-deep in a Resolve session, I tend to completely forget that any other software tool exists on my workstation. It's only after spending WAY too much time trying to finesse a challenging HSL key in Resolve do I end up remembering that I can probably pull a much more accurate "key" way faster by bringing the shot into After Effects and using the Rotobrush tool to render out a matte for the element in question.

A simple planar-tracker would also be a huge timesaver as well.

But I definitely agree that the matte/key options in Resolve need a lot of improvement. I've always loved Colorista for its "feather bias" feature alone (even though as a whole the plugin is clunky as hell to use), and having this in Resolve would be awesome.

I wish you could post-blur the edges of external mattes as well, but that's probably asking too much of a grading package to do :)

Return to posts index

dermot shane
on Mar 27, 2012 at 12:13:02 am

With Pablo, Mystika and soon to arrive Fluster & DS with color surface all haveing paint/roto/tracking/keying intergrated, maybe it's n ot too much to ask, it may be what is really needed?

d

Return to posts index

Gabriele Turchi
on Mar 27, 2012 at 12:49:05 pm

Shane : what is fluster ?

thanks

g

Davinci Resolve Control Surface
MacPro
Cubix desktop 4
2 Red Rockets
GTX470+GTX470+GTX285
24GB RAM
HP Dreamcolor
Panasonic 58PF Plasma

Return to posts index

dermot shane
on Mar 27, 2012 at 1:06:49 pm

Fluster = Flame & Luster intergrated into one software... wait and see how well they play together, to match Pablo & Mystika's intergration is a large hill to climb, esp when they have decades of code from varying sources and OS's to deal with.

Also likely to be seen is a color surface on Avid's DS, it already has good color tool set, UI sucks... see where it all stands once it has a useable interface.

IMHO the end game = everything is heading towards becomeing a wide rangeing finishing tool. Resolve needs little to join the party, plug-in's a decent paint system and basic edit tools... includeing audio to a sample.

I do so much work with shows that are "soft locked" that i almost always turn to my DS over my Resolve.. color tools are much the same, reslove's UI is mile ahead, but ablity to elegantly do changes - well it exists in DS, Mystika, Pablo, and soon Fluster... i'm SOL in Resolve

d

Return to posts index

Mike Most
on Mar 27, 2012 at 3:46:03 pm

While I don't necessarily disagree with your conclusion about finishing tools becoming more comprehensive, I would also point out that the cheapest tool of the three you mentioned (DS) still costs 10 times what a Resolve license costs. I'm not saying that Resolve doesn't compete with these things - in some circles it does - but to some degree, you're comparing things that are aimed at very different markets at vastly different price points. And you're comparing a tool that actually exists (Resolve) to one that doesn't (your theoretical Lustre/Flame integrated combination, which actually has been shipping for almost 1 1/2 years as Flame Premium, which also includes Smoke). And unless I'm mistaken - and I might be - I believe that DS already works with the Avid Artist panel series.

As for "everything" headed towards a more comprehensive tool set, I would probably dispute that. At the higher ends of the industry, specialization is still very prevalent and highly desirable. Good conforming and finishing artists are not expected to be great colorists, and vice versa. In the "one man band" world of smaller operations and individuals, that is not the case. But then again, you're not likely to find a Baselight, Flame Premium, or Pablo setup in those places...

Return to posts index

Mike Most
on Mar 27, 2012 at 5:37:34 pm

[dermot shane] "color tools are much the same, reslove's UI is mile ahead, but ablity to elegantly do changes - well it exists in DS, Mystika, Pablo, and soon Fluster..."

I would add Assimilate Scratch to that list. And it costs a lot less than everything else you've mentioned with the exception of DS.

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
on Mar 27, 2012 at 9:41:01 am

Gone are the days where a colorist had a willing assistant where he could send those shots over to and get a properly made alpha channel back ;)

A slice of color...

DaVinci 8.2.1 OSX 10.7.2
MacPro 5.1 2x2,4 24GB
RAID0 8TB
GTX 470 / Quadro 4000
Extreme 3D+

ICA Instructor
http://www.icolorist.com/Sascha.html

Return to posts index

Robert Ruffo
on Mar 28, 2012 at 10:17:12 pm

Indeed they are gone. Also, client expectations are much higher. You hear things like "change that shirt color" often, and they want it to look perfect every time.

Return to posts index

Mike Most
on Mar 29, 2012 at 12:20:49 am

[Sascha Haber] "Gone are the days where a colorist had a willing assistant where he could send those shots over to and get a properly made alpha channel back ;)"

I've never had that. Ever. And such a position would not have existed for more than the last 7 or 8 years because prior to that, nearly all color grading was done on hardware driven, real time devices.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]