FORUMS: list search recent posts

File System OS independent

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Snook
File System OS independent
on Mar 24, 2012 at 9:41:36 pm

For users running dual-boot system or multiple boxes - one windows one mac OSX, what is a good file system for a RAID? Would using a nice Jounaled RAID be cool then having a driver for it on Windows be sufficient?
http://www.paragon-software.com/home/hfs-windows/ ???

Any men who have experience fiddling between systems?

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
Re: File System OS independent
on Mar 24, 2012 at 10:03:58 pm

Multiple boxes sharing the same media would require a San. Check out stornext/Xsan free for the Mac client.

Return to posts index

Ryan Snook
on Mar 24, 2012 at 10:31:42 pm

I meant an external RAID solution connected via eSata on exactly 1 machine at a time... Any further suggestions?

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Mar 24, 2012 at 10:55:30 pm

HFS won't preform very well in Windows, and NTFS doesn't have native write ability on mac (you can use third party NTFS drivers with write) so either way you will have decreased performs. So just pick which one you will use more often. However, I don't recommend sharing drives that way.

If you want to have even more fun you could pick a third platform as your filesystem... ext2 has both windows and mac drivers.

Return to posts index

Vladimir Kucherov
on Mar 25, 2012 at 12:31:11 am

I have a windows partition on my Mac Pro, and an Apple Raid software raid0 (4 drives)

With the new Mac Drive for windows, I am getting 420 MB/s read write on Windows, which is exactly what I get on the Mac. So, at least synthetic test-wise the performance seems to hold up.

Return to posts index

Paul Nordin
on Mar 25, 2012 at 12:57:50 am

Hi Vladimir,
Do you have any idea how prior versions of MacDrive for Windows performed? I haven't upgraded from v8 to v9, yet. But if it performs better I may pay for the upgrade.
I've always had problems when copying large data blocks through it. Usually resulting in a lost connection to the drive.

Return to posts index

Vladimir Kucherov
on Mar 25, 2012 at 1:10:56 am

I have never used Mac Drive on a RAID before - in fact, I believe they just added the support for apple software raid in this release.

So far it's been really stable.

There is also something called exFAT, which doesn't have the file size limitations of FAT32 and is read/writeable by both Mac and Windows.

Return to posts index

Ryan Snook
on Mar 25, 2012 at 1:14:40 am

I was just curious about the OWC Mercury Qx2. If i got one of these to have as my RAID (4x2TB Drives) connected via eSata, and wanted to access the RAID one at a time from separate Mac and Windows workstations. The best choice of a file system to format the RAID would be...?

Return to posts index

Robert Houllahan
on Mar 25, 2012 at 2:40:05 am

I have been using NTFS Mac on several machines with excellent glitch free results for months now and Mac-Drive on several windows machine without any trouble either. It is good to know that mac-Drive seems to work well on a Raid. I am thinking about a dual boot rebuild of my current machine on the Asus Supercomputer board and it would be nice to have a single raid which works for both OS boots. Too bad both NTFS and HFS+ are older filesystems.

-Rob-

Robert Houllahan
Director / Colorist
Cinelab Inc.
http://www.cinelab.com

MAHC-PRO 6-Core 3X GTX285 20Tb SAS Wave Panel Panny 11UK SDI Plasma.

Return to posts index

Ryan Snook
on Mar 25, 2012 at 4:03:03 am

"mac-drive"?

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Mar 25, 2012 at 5:49:34 am

http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive

Return to posts index

Paul Nordin
on Mar 25, 2012 at 4:20:22 pm

On my PC, I've used MacDrive v7 for my iTunes library. When copying multiple streams of video (concurrent downloading of a rented movie, and syncing with my Apple TV, for example) MacDrive would hang and I'd have to run Repair Volume on the drive on my Mac before it would remount. With MacDrive8, I had the same problem. A few months ago I got fed up and reformatted my media drive as exFAT (read/write on both PC & OSX), and it works like a champ. It also does not require MacDrive.

Return to posts index

Pepijn Klijs
on Jun 13, 2012 at 8:54:15 am

I have recently build a Hackintosh, with dual boot to windows 7. I have a software apple raid 0 (4TB), which I can work with in windows (macdrive v9 pro), with decent speed (186 mb/s). However, Resolve seems to take ages in the mediabrowser. I have to wait at least 1 minute just to get a list of files after clicking the raid volume. After that it really takes long for each clip to load in the preview window.

I this a Macdrive issue? I temporarely created a media storage on the windows system drive and that one seem to be a lot faster.

Thanks!

Editor/Colorist, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
http://www.pepijnklijs.nl

Return to posts index

Ryan Snook
on Jun 13, 2012 at 2:06:29 pm

Did you use any particular guide for building your hackintosh? I've been interested in possibly having my PC as a hackintosh to compare it's performance to my actual Mac Pro - to see if Steve Jobs still sacrifices my manhood from the grade performance wise due to hardware limitations.

Cheez

Return to posts index

Pepijn Klijs
on Jun 13, 2012 at 2:16:45 pm

Well, I mostly used the tonymacx86.com forum and guides to get everything working. As it was my first build it wasn't easy, but with a patient mindstate anyone can do it.

Look for the unibeast guide, it's pretty simple. The hard part is post-installation and getting all your components to work properly. It's kind of a puzzle...

But it's rewarding in the end. My build is up to par with a MAc Pro of 7.000 euros, but it costed me 2.000, plus some time...

Last advice; Try to work with two system drives. One for backup and one for experimenting. This really speeded up my whole process, as it is one of trial and error. Everytime you make a 'stable' progress, you back that up on the other drive and you move on to your next assignment. if it fails you don't have to do everything over, you just clone your last backup and take it from there.

Good luck!

Editor/Colorist, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
http://www.pepijnklijs.nl

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]