FORUMS: list search recent posts

edit changes in Resolve

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Huggins
edit changes in Resolve
on Mar 23, 2012 at 4:15:44 pm

Resolviists:

We have not done many features in Resolve and are concerned about changes made before a final picture lock. I have a client who claims:

"the project is 98% locked but that still requires a few tweaks. Tell me if this is wrong, but my previous experience posting projects with Da Vinci has been that it's insanely simple to reconnect new xmls without losing any of the color work based on the way Da Vinci stores its work. So, for instance, I've sent a rough cut to a colorist, who started doing the color work on the rough, and when I locked I just sent a new xml that he reconnected without losing any of the work that had been done to date."

Are edit changes that easy in Resolve? My techs don't think so based on our other systems. what's your experience when working on a feature lenght and edit changes?

Thanks, Film Joe

Return to posts index

Kevin Cannon
Re: edit changes in Resolve
on Mar 23, 2012 at 4:33:46 pm

Hi Joe,

It can be quite easy - here is the basic rule to remember: Resolve stores much of the work done in the DI in the Master Session, not in the individual timelines that match the picture edit. By working in a timeline (let's say the timeline is your rough-cut) and using "remote versions," all the changes are copied over to the master session and become associated with the source clip's reel# and source timecode. Because the master session saves these color versions based on source information, you can change or delete every other timeline without affecting the master session or losing your color information.

It is important not to use local versions in this case, because they ARE stored in the individual timelines and will not automatically copy over from timeline to timeline. Also, there is a decent amount of work (usually the work done in the conform page and some parts of the format page) that will not be stored in remote versions, so I avoid spending time on those parts if I'm grading a timeline that is not final.

Some colorists prefer to put every reel of the feature into a single project (and by extension a single master session) and some prefer one project-per reel... But you can find some of those threads on this forum.

KC

Prehistoric Digital
PhD Grading Suite

Return to posts index

brandon thomas
on Mar 23, 2012 at 5:27:36 pm

Another option is if you bring the new sequence in as a new project, you can use ColorTrace to apply the grades (including dynamics) to the new edit. The thing i don't like about just bringing in a new xml, is if you have a lot of versions for a shot, Resolve just defaults to version 1, so you have to go case by case and apply the proper version.

Return to posts index

Joe Huggins
on Mar 23, 2012 at 5:30:03 pm

If the edit is from an Avid and I dont' have an XML, is that a problem?

Thanks, Film Joe

Return to posts index

brandon thomas
on Mar 23, 2012 at 5:33:26 pm

Shouldn't matter at all. However you get your timeline in, if you leave things as Remote Versions and you're referencing the same media, Resolve will make the connection.

Return to posts index

Teo Rižnar
on Mar 24, 2012 at 9:03:59 pm

I use this workflow very often it works great, only bad thing is with versions. But in there is a shortcut mapped on the panels called "default version" It just gets you on version 1. Is there an option to set the "Default" versions. So after importing a new cut you just go true shots and select one button command, "default version" and it would turn on the version you have chosen is the final version you wont to apply.

Cheers

Color grade reel:
Cofounder of http://nuframe.si postproduction

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]