FORUMS: list search recent posts

Resolve is More Saturated than my outputs

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
William Edwards
Resolve is More Saturated than my outputs
on Mar 18, 2012 at 9:50:43 pm

I've noticed that when I view the source material on the viewer in Resolve, it is showing an image that is a great deal more saturated than what I end up outputting. Any suggestions?

Apple Pro Res to Apple Pro Res, via FCP XML.

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
Re: Resolve is More Saturated than my outputs
on Mar 18, 2012 at 10:54:26 pm

Any suggestions?
Yes. Don't use a computer display to evaluate a video image.

Return to posts index

Ola Haldor Voll
on Mar 18, 2012 at 11:29:54 pm

What Juan said.
Don't rely on the computer monitor.

Some times the client may say "I like what's on the computer monitor better". Fine. Make whatever is on the video monitor look like the computer monitor. But the image on the computer monitor will look "too much" then.

It just show's the importance of working in a calibrated environment.

Return to posts index

William Edwards
on Mar 18, 2012 at 11:34:56 pm

Fair enough, for a broadcast environment. But when video is going to stay on the web, wouldn't it be better to stay in the environment of a computer/web? If you have a color calibrated computer monitor, shouldn't the viewer in Resolve produce the same outputs as you end up with your quicktimes? Or was it just not built for that?

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Mar 18, 2012 at 11:47:36 pm

Every single individual computer monitor in the world looks different. Some a little some drastically. There is no predictable and standardized way of predicting the appearance of a consumer display. Video by comparison is rather standardized bt.709. Best thing is to grade Ina calibrated video monitor even if it's for the web. Certainly don't grade on the GUI. You can additionally calibrate your computer display using a probe and software to produce a monitor profile. You have a probe, correct?

Return to posts index

William Edwards
on Mar 18, 2012 at 11:56:15 pm

Thanks for responding Juan. Yes, I do have a probe. I recalibrated it, as there was a chain on this problem with i1Profiler and the new version they put out, and it seems be be working a lot nicer now. Question with this though, what gamma is broadcast set at? 2.2 right?

So I can eventually move away from this problem: I was looking at the Eizo monitor. I don't know if there are others you can recommend. My favorite was the Panasonic Plasma, as it sees blacks very well.

Return to posts index

William Edwards
on Mar 19, 2012 at 12:11:46 am

I think I figured it out, and this might all be elementary to you guys.

ProRes, H264, or other apple images playback in gamma 2.2. So Resolve and FCP, for example, would also play back the image in a 2.2 space. If I have the monitor calibrated at gamma 2.2 and not 1.8, resolve images would be saturated and weird because it's a 2.2 gamma on a 2.2 image. Colorsync works with quicktime files to make it look the "proper" gamma, but it doesn't work with Resolve to make this (again in quotes) "correction".

Return to posts index

Margus Voll
on Mar 19, 2012 at 8:48:40 am

I think Resolve shows you "more" colors than it fits to your output format.

When rendering out colors are reduced by the format of compression itself.

I see it all the time. After export stuff are more pale. Specially when you make some internet compatible files.

--

Margus

http://iconstudios.eu

Return to posts index

William Edwards
on Mar 19, 2012 at 6:27:37 pm

Thanks Margus,

I agree, but also when I calibrated the GUI monitor to gamma 1.8, it was a lot closer than gamma 2.2.

Return to posts index

Dimitrios Papagiannis
on Mar 29, 2012 at 5:32:28 am

How should we deal with this situation if it is encountered?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]