FORUMS: list search recent posts

Roundtrip between Resolve + 7 or X results in changed edit

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Frantz
Roundtrip between Resolve + 7 or X results in changed edit
on Mar 16, 2012 at 5:31:02 pm

I tried FCPX for the first time the other day for a quick assembly and exported it via xml to Resolve. Various clips within the timeline (resolve) were linked via the red box, showing that they were all apart of the same shot. I read that the way to seperate those tracks wasto right click and do a "batch unlink". I did that, and I was able to grade every shot separately. I graded the footage and exported via FCX XML 1.1 back to FCPX and was greeted with an error screen. I restarted the program and tried again, this time getting a different error screen.

Importing via FCPX XML 1.0 into FCPX allows me to view the footage as I normally would, but every clip that was apart of a longer shot is now replaced with another clip from that shot. To clarify, if I had one long shot (A) and cut 3 different clips from it (1,2,3), in the timeline every clip from shot A displays only clip 3 regardless of whether it was the right clip. I hope that made sense.

Anyway, long story short is I have a project fully graded in resolve that I needed ported into some editing program for finishing. The source footage was straight off of a 5D, I rendered in ProRes(HQ) from Resolve. All the rendered clips play fine in Quicktime, and I suppose I could relink my original cut with the graded prores versions in FCP as a last resort (I kept the file names the same during render from Resolve) but I would rather have it work correctly.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: Roundtrip between Resolve + 7 or X results in changed edit
on Mar 16, 2012 at 8:32:09 pm

There would be another path available that might avoid unlinking, which would be to create a "new local version" for each clip.

Frankly, after Apple COLOR's nightmare XML, I find anything that suggests unlinking anything to be a terrifying proposition.

jPo

You mean "Old Ben"? Ben Kenobi?

Return to posts index

Eric Johnson
on Mar 16, 2012 at 11:23:15 pm

Is there a reason you need to "roundtrip" back to FCPx? Have you tried the "Export to FCP" easy setup? Or you could just bake the whole show to one track via "target" mode.

I tried the "Roundtrip" rough once and didn't quite get what I wanted out of it so I always "Export" for the DaVinci render easy setup.

Good luck...

Return to posts index

Chris Frantz
on Mar 16, 2012 at 11:59:55 pm

Thanks for your response (both of you). I figured out a workaround, which is to export from resolve as FCPXXML1.0 as opposed to 1.1 and when rendering the ProRes graded version, to use unique file names. It's a workaround, but it worked. I appreciate the help however.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]