FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 7.0.3 + OS X 10.7.2 problems with lock & load

COW Forums : CoreMelt Plug-ins

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Karsten Jennissen
FCP 7.0.3 + OS X 10.7.2 problems with lock & load
on Nov 8, 2011 at 12:28:15 pm

Hi,

I am a happy lock & load x user. Since my lion update I have been having problems. I have been mostly using lock & load frames. Sometimes, when I apply fade in + lock & load frames with stabilization + shutter reduction I get a few frames tilt shifted images:

http://www.jennissen.net/notok.jpg

during the initial phase of fade in

after that the image is ok again:

http://www.jennissen.net/ok.jpg

This behavior is erratic. Sometimes I get this, sometimes I don't.

When I apply the fade in and track motion afterwards, many times I get these huge automatic zoom >1000%. When I then remove the fade in and track again, apply the fade in I get the tilt shift again.

Lastly, when I export to a quicktime film, a sequence that rendered and played perfectly in FCP canvas gets erratic "clip properties changed", but only in the exported .mov, not in FCP!

What are these errors? This is driving me crazy and makes me want to throw lock & load out the window.

Hope someone has ideas how to solve this.

Regards
Karsten

Return to posts index

Eberhard Ammelt
Re: FCP 7.0.3 + OS X 10.7.2 problems with lock & load
on Nov 8, 2011 at 4:03:58 pm

Hello,
do you have set in/out points for this clip, or do you use the whole clip?
Are these bad frames only at the beginning of a clip, or are they also (randomly) somewhere in between or at then end?
Can you please check the log file for possibly related error messages just when any of these errors has occurred?

Finally, can you please try the following:
Quit FCP, then temporarily remove the FCP preferences from the Preferences folder, re-launch FCP, and try to stabilize/export your clip. Does it change anything?

Regards, Eberhard

Return to posts index

Karsten Jennissen
on Nov 8, 2011 at 6:00:42 pm

I have set in / out points. And these tilted images are only for a split second at the beginning of a clip, at the beginning of a fade in. This is only if I use rolling shutter reduction. If I just stabilize, no problem.

Faulty auto zooms happen during the whole stabilized clips. Sometimes, doing a couple of re-tracking the motion helped with this, sometimes not. Then I removed the lock & load, re applied and then it magically worked. Haven't figured out what is wrong.

Problems with the export could in the past be solved with retracing, rerendering. Problem is only, that I would have to export first to be able to see what would have to be redone... When exporting, there was sometimes not just the clip properties changed sign, sometimes, lock & load was not applied in the export at all, even though within FCP, it worked fine on that part of the clip.

I'll try your suggestion with the preferences and get back to you with the results.

Regards
Karsten

Return to posts index

Karsten Jennissen
on Nov 10, 2011 at 1:13:00 pm

Deleted the preferences. Unfortunately that does not change anything.

However I found out that there seems to be something wrong with the smart zoom. Usually, I use the setting smart zoom (not fixed zoom) and in quiet scenes I set max zoom speed down from 80% to 10%. That has always worked perfectly.

However now, when I reduce the zoom speed down I get these huge zoom factors (>300 or 400%), as described above. Which are in no way a result from shaking to much. The same thing happens with shots with only a slight "tremor".

Karsten

Return to posts index

Eberhard Ammelt
on Nov 10, 2011 at 4:41:00 pm

Hm, this sounds strange. Does the zoom/stabilization look ok when you set the zoom speed to about 80%?
Is this behavior somehow clip related, or did it occur only after updating to OS 10.7.2, where it worked on OS 10.6.x with the same clip?

Eberhard

Return to posts index

Karsten Jennissen
on Jan 7, 2012 at 8:18:23 am

Hi Eberhard,

it's been a while because I did not have time to work on the project.
The problem is not clip related. It occurs randomly, many times. It does not go away when I set zoom speed to 80%. Cannot say if the update to lion / 1.7.2 really was the problem. It might have been.

A couple of days ago, I tried switching render settings from HDV to ProRes 422. And all the problems went away. I have no idea why.

Then today I continued on the same project and the image tilting appeared again. Before I go throw my editing station out the window, I tried applying lock & load x instead of frames (I had been using frames for 100% of my clips in the past months) and the problem went away again.

Take a quick look at the motion tracking with l&l X. When I first purchased the software, it was much quicker. Is that normal? (Sorry for the shaking, quick iPhone 4 recording without tripod ;-)

http://vimeo.com/user9313570/review/34696392/4e22f9194a

Seems awfully long for the x version. Takes much longer in total than the frames version.

Btw, where does L&L put the tracking data? Any way I can check whether there is a problem with the installation?

Kind regards,
Karsten

Return to posts index

Eberhard Ammelt
on Jan 9, 2012 at 5:52:49 pm

Hello Karsten,

the main difference between the "Frames" version and the "X" version is that the Frames version reads the clip's frames through the programming interface of FCP while X directly reads the QT file.

So, if you notice problems with the Frames version which don't occur with the X version, it's very likely that it's related to FCP's mechanism to provide video frames to Lock & Load during motion tracking.
In most cases where this problem occurs, FCP seems to be running out of memory. This is reported to the log file. Can you please check the log file for related error messages?

Regarding the speed of X versus Frames version, the X version requires FCP to convert the project to xml so Lock & Load can access the video file. If the project is big, this conversion can take substantial time, and the overall tracking duration can take even more time than the Frames version.
That's why we recommend to use the Frames version in such cases.

Lock & Load (both version) stores the tracking data into the FCP project file, so you can't access and view it easily.

Regards, Eberhard

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]