FORUMS: list search recent posts

Witness Protection Plugin Causes Bluriness?

COW Forums : CoreMelt Plug-ins

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
alex cutter
Witness Protection Plugin Causes Bluriness?
on Feb 21, 2011 at 12:47:57 am

Hi All,

I'm using the demo version of the Witness Protection filter.

I'm noticing that applying the filter to the clip causes the area outside of the pixilated area to lose sharpness.

When using an earlier version of the plugin on a work computer, I wasn't having this problem.

I've attached an image to show what I'm referring to, as well as the filter settings. I have all of the "blur" options turned off.

Any ideas?

Thx!

Return to posts index

Iain Anderson
Re: Witness Protection Plugin Causes Bluriness?
on Feb 21, 2011 at 4:34:32 am

My first guess is that you're looking at an Unlimited RT sequence at a lower resolution than full. In the RT menu at the top left of your Timeline window, check that Playback Video Quality is set to full, not Dynamic or Half. It should also look fine after rendering.

Please let us know if that fixes the problem.

Return to posts index

alex cutter
on Feb 21, 2011 at 12:44:10 pm

Hi Iain,

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, the suggestions you made didn't work. I have PLAYBACK VIDEO QUALITY set to HIGH (there is no "full" setting).

I'm attaching an image to this message showing the RT Setting, and the timeline. And here's a link to a higher res screen grab: http://www.flickr.com/photos/59773208@N04/5464305935/sizes/l/in/photostream...

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

alex cutter
on Feb 21, 2011 at 4:30:50 pm

Also, the filter is working fine in AE CS5.

I'm running the latest version of FCP/Snow Leopard on a Quad-Core 2.8GHz iMac with 4GB RAM.

Return to posts index

alex cutter
on Feb 21, 2011 at 7:03:59 pm

More info -- when I toggle the effect off/on, the image shifts slightly in the canvas. Could this be an interlacing issue?

Here's a link to video showing this...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59773208@N04/5465838632/

Return to posts index

Iain Anderson
on Feb 21, 2011 at 9:04:57 pm

Apologies for the Full/High confusion.

However, I'm not seeing the same effect when I apply the Witness Protection here, and I've just applied it to interlaced and progressive footage. The blurring effect you're seeing is consistent with a lower-resolution preview in the Canvas, but your settings seem correct, and you'd only see the low res effect on playback, not when paused.

Does the blurring effect persist after rendering? Also, are you using the latest version?

I'll also chase an answer with some of the CoreMelt techs.

Return to posts index

alex cutter
on Feb 21, 2011 at 11:38:16 pm

Thanks again Iain,

Yes, the blurring persists after rendering.

Could it be a sequence setting problem? I trashed the FCP prefs, and have tried the filter on several different projects.

I downloaded the demo from your site yesterday, so whichever version that is, that's the one I'm using.

Appreciate your efforts to sort this out.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Feb 23, 2011 at 1:23:02 pm

You are not seeing full quality unless you fully render and view your output on a broadcast monitor.

Your computer screen is just a reference.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

alex cutter
on Feb 23, 2011 at 1:33:48 pm

Thanks for your input, but as I wrote earlier, the previous version of the filter did not create this kind of bluriness -- regardless of how the footage was viewed.

In any case, the point is moot since, I found a free plugin (Andy's Region Blur 3.5) that works the same way the previous version of Witness Protection used to.

Return to posts index

Iain Anderson
on Feb 23, 2011 at 1:32:03 pm

Thanks for the feedback. We can confirm there’s a problem with non-square pixel footage that we’ll do our best to address in the next release. In the meantime, you can still use the Witness Protection filter in a square pixel sequence with square pixel footage without any problems (no blurring). Non-square footage in a square pixel sequence is only very marginally affected.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]