FORUMS: list search recent posts

Having Fits with Lock 'N Load

COW Forums : CoreMelt Plug-ins

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Babbitt
Having Fits with Lock 'N Load
on Oct 27, 2010 at 7:11:35 pm

I have been using Lock 'N Load for a few weeks now, and I'm experiencing a lot of random buggy behavior.
I'm working in FCP and editing in an XDCAM-EX 720p timeline. After applying the Lock 'N Load filter to various shots in the project and rendering, everything looks smooth and great on my external HD monitor, but, when I export the sequence to a self-contained Quicktime movie (Current Settings), that's when the trouble starts. When viewing the QT movie, some shots are fine, but certain others will display the "No Tracking Data" warning, and others will behave as though there is no smoothing applied at all. If I go back to the original project and playback from the timeline, everything is fine. I know that when you export to Quicktime, everything is re-rendered, and I guess that is when this is happening, but why?

Return to posts index

Eberhard Ammelt
Re: Having Fits with Lock 'N Load
on Oct 28, 2010 at 7:34:52 am

Hello,
the problems you're experiencing are probably caused by lost synchronization between tracking data and render frames. Due to a problem in the plugin SDK, sequence in/out points should be clear throughout the stabilization process until the clip is rendered.
Unfortunately, when using XDCAM as sequence codec, FCP renders the clip during export again, which destroys synchronization when sequence in/out were set before export.
I suggest to use Lock & Load X when working with XDCAM as sequence codec, as it avoids these synchronization problems.

Regards, Eberhard

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
on Oct 28, 2010 at 11:43:15 pm

Eberhard,

Are you saying that there should be no in or out points on the sequence at all, or do you mean on the clips themselves? Obviously, there needs to be one at the beginning and end before exporting. I need to be able to use Frames, because I do a bit of slo-mo.

Return to posts index

Eberhard Ammelt
on Oct 29, 2010 at 6:25:48 am

There should be no sequence in/out points until the clip is rendered, clip in/out are ok.
Once the clip is rendered, you can set sequence in/out for export in general, but this doesn't work with XDCAM as sequence codec as FCP renders again during export.

Eberhard

Return to posts index

Iain Anderson
on Oct 29, 2010 at 7:17:11 am

A trick may help here. XDCAM and HDV do an extra render (conform) on export, but you can avoid it by ticking *every* item in the Render submenu you are using (Selection or All) before you render. Then, the conform happens earlier and it shouldn\'t break on export.

Please let us know if it works.

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
on Nov 1, 2010 at 4:11:14 pm

I have my system set-up to render to Pro-Rez, in order to avoid the lengthy conforming during editing, so conforming doesn't take place until I export the entire sequence. Does this make a difference?

Return to posts index

Iain Anderson
on Nov 1, 2010 at 9:18:45 pm

I think in this case that strategy is counter-productive, and is causing or at least contributing to the problem. Rendering to ProRes is only useful if you need to output to ProRes at the end of the process, or if you need the fastest possible renders during editing.

However, even when rendering to XDCAM or HDV, no conform normally happens until the very end (unless you tick every render type as I advised). You do save a little render time as you don't need to compress to the more demanding codec, but you will have to re-render it all at the end if your final target is XDCAM anyway - and that is causing problems with Lock and Load.

I would try rendering to the native codec in this case. You may not *need* to tick every box and force a conform during render if you use the native codec, but it will save time at the final render if you do.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]