FORUMS: list search recent posts

slow slow slow slow slow...

COW Forums : CoreMelt Plug-ins

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Joyce
slow slow slow slow slow...
on Jun 13, 2010 at 4:12:55 pm

I'm wondering if my machine is up to the task for the CoreMelt Imageflow plugins or if I'm doing something wrong.

I've reduced my stills to jpegs, no bigger than 1440 wide. I'm not using any video in ImageFlow. Still, FCP moves like a glacier. Just clicking from one point on the timeline to another can take 4-5 seconds. The spinning beachball appears often with CoreMelt. Is just took 30 minutes to export a 10 second Blur Fade so obviously something is wrong. Would appreciate anyone's help finding out what.

Here are my stats:

MacPro 2 x 2.66GHz dual-core Intel Xenon

12GB memory (667 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM)
ATI Radeon X1900 XT graphics card
6 TB Raid (external, connected by eSATA)
Snow Leopard OS X 10.6.3
CoreMelt V2 Complete, about 1 month old

Are there any rules, written or unwritten, I should follow? Like, no more than one sequence open at a time? Or maybe just one sequence per project? ImageFlows should be no longer than 10 seconds? Each ImageFlow should be a separate project?

I bought CoreMelt to speed up my projects and it's having the opposite effect. I must be doing something wrong because this performance is intolerable.

Any and all help appreciated. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Iain Anderson
Re: slow slow slow slow slow...
on Jun 13, 2010 at 10:21:06 pm

I'm sure there will be other replies, but some tips to speed things up:

- Turn off Motion Blur. In any CoreMelt filter, press Globals, access Motion Blur, and turn it off.
- Use 8-bit rendering, not 10-bit. In Sequence Settings, Video Processing, choose 8-bit YUV.

They're probably the best things to look at first.

Your graphics card could be the next weakest link as it's a bit behind the best current cards. This 2009 chart has some benchmarks of the 1900 XT against newer cards in several 3D games:

http://www.barefeats.com/nehal05.html

This older chart shows Motion performance, but even the best card shown here has now been superseded:

http://www.barefeats.com/harper16.html

If you do decide to upgrade your graphics card, the current best picks (AFAIK) are the ATI 4870 and the Nvidia GTX 285.

Return to posts index

Greg Joyce
on Jun 14, 2010 at 12:31:12 am

Iain,

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm giving the first two a try and will hold off on getting a new card, at least for now.

--Greg

Return to posts index

Roger Bolton
on Jun 14, 2010 at 12:01:20 am

something is definately wrong, I've just tested a macbook pro with X1600 card, it can render blurfade 10 seconds with 1440 wide jpeg images in about 2 minutes at HDV 1080 res.

the blur in "blur fade" makes this plugin a little slow, others like circle around render much faster, however your machine should be considerably faster than this.

can you please send us a full system profile and details of the sequence settings to support at coremelt dot com and we'll try and work out whats going wrong?

System Profile:
In all cases we need a system profile in order to diagnose your problem. To generate a system profile go to "about this mac" from the Apple Menu then click the "More Info..." button. This will start the system profiler application. Then go to the "File" menu and select "save as" and save the complete system profile in "System Profiler 4.0 (XML)" format.

-
CoreMelt V2 plugins

Return to posts index

Greg Joyce
on Jun 14, 2010 at 12:34:51 am

Hi Roger,

Thanks for responding. I'm saving the MacPro.spx file and will email it to you as soon as it's done.

--Greg

Return to posts index

Roger Bolton
on Jun 16, 2010 at 10:28:47 pm

another followup for imageflow best performance:

* scale your images down before using them with imageflow. If working in PAL/NTSC try making them 800 pixels wide
*set "render in 8 bit YUV" in sequence settings
*click on the globals button (below imageflow banner in plugin) and make sure that motion blur is turned off
*use images or movies from a folder, imageflow is faster reading images or movies from a folder than it is reading from image wells.

-
CoreMelt V2 plugins

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]