FORUMS: list search recent posts

Speed of Plugins

COW Forums : CoreMelt Plug-ins

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Liv Khalsa
Speed of Plugins
on Apr 18, 2010 at 6:53:53 pm

I have been using the latest CoreMelt Glows and Blurs and well as the FxFactory Pro plugins in FinalCut Pro. I am wondering if the speeds I am seeing is good considering their complexity, or if maybe I have something set up wrong. I have a 8 core 2.8 Ghz INtel Xeon Mac with 10 GB of ram running Leopard 10.5.8 with a ATI Radeon HD 3870 video card. The Video footage is HDV 1080i60 (1440x1080). The video is on a 6 drive raid that is very fast and rendering is set to a different drive and of course Final Cut is on the System drive (a third drive). If I add 1 of the plugins to a video clip, the line above the clip turns orange and playback becomes somewhat jumpy. If I render a 1.5 minute clip, it takes about 4 minutes. I would appreciate anyones insight into if this is what others are seeing or if I have something really slowing things down. Many thanks for your help and best.

Return to posts index

Iain Anderson
Re: Speed of Plugins
on Apr 18, 2010 at 10:05:55 pm

Certainly, some effects can take a while to render -- though it really depends on the particular effect. Camera Defocus Z Mask, for example, is quite complex, while Chromatic Glow is simpler. I'd also expect jumpy playback on HD sources with some effects, but a render time of 3-4x realtime is not out of the ordinary.

It doesn't sound like your system is the bottleneck, certainly not with the lower data rate of HDV footage.

Return to posts index

Liv Khalsa
Re: Speed of Plugins
on Apr 19, 2010 at 3:13:32 am

Thanks Iain for getting back to me. I know your very experience with these plugins and its good to know that my system is OK. HD really put our computers to the test. I wonder how fast these complicated plugs would take without graphic card acceleration or if you could preview them at all without rendering.

Best

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]