FORUMS: list search recent posts

SliceX really not working like the tutorials say it should

COW Forums : CoreMelt Plug-ins

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Cross
SliceX really not working like the tutorials say it should
on Aug 29, 2016 at 6:29:00 pm

I have a talking head against a plain black background with no alpha channel. The subject is wearing a white headress, so stands out really well against the background. He's well lit, the original footage is HD, not proxy versions. (using FCPX 10.2.3)

I've created a really detailed mask outline which is a keyframe as all the points are in yellow. If I select to track forward, the mask is horribly wrong, with green points all in the wrong place. I've tried stopping the tracking and creating new keyframes to give the tracking engine some extra help. All it seems to do is change the position of the one original keyframe. It's as if there is only ever one keyframe, not many different ones.

From my first, "perfect" keyframe, I track the entire clip (30secs or so). When I look at the finished mask, it is jumping around, looking far worse than if the original mask was just left in place. When I return to my original "perfect" keyframe mask, it has been changed and is now badly fitting. I really think something is wrong with this product and maybe I should remove and re-install it again.

There is not clear guidance on whether I should be using Perspective mode, or Translation, Rotation and Scale (this seems to be much worse in use). I've wasted 10 working hours trying to get this to do something... Any clues, suggestions, clear advice I could do something with?

Return to posts index

Eberhard Ammelt
Re: SliceX really not working like the tutorials say it should
on Aug 29, 2016 at 7:23:44 pm

Hello,

can you please send a screen record of how you're doing this and the critical part of your original video?
You can upload them to Dropbox etc. and send me a link to eberhard (at) coremelt.com

Eberhard

Return to posts index

Richard Cross
on Aug 29, 2016 at 8:06:42 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm sending you a Dropbox link now with a screencam movie. I deleted and reinstalled the plugins which unfortunately screwed up all the original settings in the projects. I made sure to do a full reboot and close all other apps off too. Am working on a new iMac, fully-loaded, 32Gb of RAM. Nothing else seems unusual but I had a feeling before that FCPX was working really slowly. When i pressed the track forwards button, it took over a minute before the timeline indicator moved forward or I saw any change of image in the preview/ monitor pane.

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
on Oct 27, 2016 at 2:43:59 pm

Hey Richard,

Did you get any resolution on this issue? I am having the same problem, and while I haven't contacted CoreMelt yet, I plan to after this project.

Thanks for any insight you are able to share.

Doug Metz

Anode

Return to posts index

Gary Caganoff
on Dec 8, 2016 at 5:31:54 am

Me too!

Gary Caganoff, Lysis Films.
Editing on FCX, shooting on Sony A7s + Atomos Shogun.

Return to posts index

Roger Bolton
on Dec 8, 2016 at 11:42:39 am

Please watch this tutorial which explains more about planar tracking and how to get the best results when using mocha.

If you still have problems please contact us via the support form on our website so we can give you specific help

Return to posts index

Roger Bolton
on Dec 8, 2016 at 11:39:11 am

Hi, please see this tutorial. Trying to track an entire head with a detailed mask will not work, it's not what SliceX was designed for and a head is not a single planar surface which can be tracked in one go.

Please watch this tutorial which explains more about planar tracking and how to get the best results when using mocha.

If you still have problems please contact us via the support form on our website so we can give you specific help

Return to posts index

Roger Bolton
on Dec 8, 2016 at 11:43:11 am

forgot tutorial link:

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
on Jan 19, 2017 at 6:04:16 pm

Thanks Roger! That's quite informative.

I do still have a related question, though. If I have an entire head to track / mask, is there a tool in the CoreMelt arsenal suitable to the task? If not, any recommendations?

Thanks for your time and attention,
Doug

Doug Metz

Anode

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]