FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lock & Load, Overall Strength vs Horizon, Vertical,l Rotation

COW Forums : CoreMelt Plug-ins

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brent Murray
Lock & Load, Overall Strength vs Horizon, Vertical,l Rotation
on Dec 27, 2015 at 6:27:42 pm

I'm curious to know how Overall Strength and the H, V, R settings interact with one another from a maximizing stability standpoint Along with any information as to best usage practices would be greatly appreciated.

I'm assuming they are essentially the same with Overall Strength providing global adjustment in larger increments, and the HVR sliders acting as more of a fine tuning, but am not sure this is the case.

Not having a clear understanding of this typically ends with deciding to just use FCPX's stabilizer because the time saving benefits of L&L are negated by attempting multiple settings without ever feeling like I achieved its full potential.

Something else to note at least from my perspective is that FCPX and Warp are obvious when to much of the effect is applied while Lock N Load is much less so. The other two will begin to warp etc. while Lock & Load seems to just add back some of the energy via small intermittent stabilization artifacts.

I'm certainly not unhappy with the software, just in need of some guidance.

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Shane Bhatla
Re: Lock & Load, Overall Strength vs Horizon, Vertical,l Rotation
on Jan 4, 2016 at 4:22:49 am

Hey Brent,

You are on the right track. It depends highly on what footage size you're using on what timeline settings. For example, if you're using a 4K footage on a 1080 timeline, you'll have more area to work with. What Lock and Load and other stabilizers do is to zoom into the clip to hide the black areas. With a 1080 footage on a 1080 timeline, it gives stabilizers less space to work with and after zooming, footage might get distorted and quality will be lost.

Overall strength is simply the combination of HVR all in one. Sometimes one of the axis needs to be tweaked and that's why we have H, V, R separately. Usually, this is not required, but when it is, it can be used to fine tune the stabilizing to make it look better/more natural.

I hope that answers your question.

Warm Regards,
Shane

Return to posts index

Brent Murray
on Jan 4, 2016 at 1:36:05 pm

Shane

This project is on Late 2015 27'' iMac, FCPX 10.2.2, ProRes UHD on a UHD time line at 29.97. Final output will be HD but might upload a YouTube "4K" version hence the full res edit choice. Generally speaking are more powerful settings able to be applied when working with 4K on an HD time line from a performance stand point?

Also what is your suggestion as to effects hierarchy, and do you see a mistake in my approach which would lead to less than optimal results?

Here's my workflow in chronological order

-Twixtor, 120% - 150% increased linear speed for each click.
-exported clips and reimported
-clips processed with Lock & Load or FCPX stabilizer.
-Lens undistort,
-and FCPX's KenBurns or Crops
-another export/import cycle
-color grade with SliceX and Color Finale
-processed clips with NeatVideo
-another export/import cycle
-add real smart motion blur
-and finish it with 35mm grain

Thank you!!!

Return to posts index

Roger Bolton
on Jan 12, 2016 at 9:14:18 pm

Hi, can you please email us at support at coremelt dot com so we can help you in more detail?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]