FORUMS: list search recent posts

Tracking going awry - when trying to replace moving image on monitor?

COW Forums : CoreMelt Plug-ins

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Ged Low
Tracking going awry - when trying to replace moving image on monitor?
on Dec 28, 2014 at 11:43:06 pm

Shot: over-shoulder shot of fellow working on a computer monitor - on which there is already a moving image. I want to REPLACE what he is watching with another 'moving' image. When I set my tracking frame around the monitor screen ... and click TrackX to start tracking the monitor frame, it randomly tracks the image IN the frame, NOT the frame itself... even though I've left a bit of black edge around the image on the screen. I've tried it half a dozen times, making the frame wider and wider. It still insists on tracking the image INSIDE the monitor, creating a fairly warped shape, that has nothing to do with the rectangle of the monitor. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks, Ben

Return to posts index

Eberhard Ammelt
Re: Tracking going awry - when trying to replace moving image on monitor?
on Dec 29, 2014 at 8:54:00 am

You can try to draw a shape that only contains the monitor's frame with the bezier/polygon drawing tool. First draw the outside rectangle around the monitor, then draw the inside rectangle and close the shape.

Regards, Eberhard

Return to posts index

Ben Ged Low
on Dec 29, 2014 at 6:11:56 pm

Eberhard: "You can try to draw a shape that only contains the monitor's frame with the bezier/polygon drawing tool. First draw the outside rectangle around the monitor, then draw the inside rectangle and close the shape."

Hi Eberhard,

Am I understanding you right?: I draw a bezier curve around the outline of the monitor, then (without closing that line) I continue on to put a line around the INSIDE of the monitor, which I close. I did this.

The resultant mask wasn't precise, wandered a lot, as if it was trying to follow the image on the monitor screen. I include a snapshot of the shot I'm working on. The shot itself is barely moving. The image in the screen is moving a small bit. But I put my bezier lines always in the black of the monitor frame, except across his arm, and at the bottom of the monitor screen, where I kept in view the control icons of the app he is using.

And when I add in the 'insert layer' it doesn't sit IN the masked area, it doesn't 'mirror' the perspective; it sits on TOP of the shot, and I have to position it with the green dots ... I'm doing something wrong, this isn't at all like the results I'm seeing in the tutorials.

The original shot was 4K. I made an HD version in case it had something to do with managing the 4K. But it still wasn't delivering a clean motion tracking. I uploaded 3 stills of the shot here, please let me know if they didn't come through.

Very curious to know what I'm doing wrong...

Ben

Return to posts index

Ben Ged Low
on Dec 29, 2014 at 8:42:06 pm

Tried to upload example stills. Uploader doesn't seem to work.

Return to posts index

Ben Ged Low
on Dec 29, 2014 at 9:21:51 pm

Eberhard. Okay, I see that when I 'close' the bezier I need to close it to the the external curve (around the monitor). Now I'm getting a smoother motion tracking.

The one thing I'm not figuring out: the layer I'm adding (the clip IN the masked area) comes in supered ON TOP of the shot, not behind, and it's not proportional (even though that's what I've set in the inspector). It's more or less a square, floating on top of the mask. I can use the green dots to 'position' it where the mask is, and it seems to stick, to follow the mask, but being ON TOP of the mask it's not honouring the actual structure of the mask. Meaning, there is a small piece of arm between the eye and the monitor, which I've carefully masked out. But the masked clip, sitting ON TOP of the main shot, isn't being affected by the mask.

What am I missing? That the layer I want IN the masked area is appearing ON TOP of the mask?

All ears, Ben

Return to posts index

Eberhard Ammelt
on Dec 30, 2014 at 10:13:40 am

The clip you insert should be masked by the mask you specify. Is this not the case? Can you please send a screenshot? You can send it to me at eberhard (at) coremelt.com.

Eberhard

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]