FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lock n Load : Warping image

COW Forums : CoreMelt Plug-ins

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy Stokes
Lock n Load : Warping image
on Feb 17, 2010 at 2:36:35 am

Hi all,

Just downloaded the trial of lock n load X. Very impressed with the overall speed and results and i'm about to purchase.

I have some issues though where the plugin seems to warp the image considerably. My footage was shot in HDV on a Sony Z1U. After running the plugin the footage is very stable although looks a little like it was shot through a CMOS camera displaying the jello effect. Is there any way to minimize this?

Thx

Return to posts index

Eberhard Ammelt
Re: Lock n Load : Warping image
on Feb 17, 2010 at 12:56:06 pm

As you've captured your video with a CCD, there is should be no rolling shutter warping. Can you please send us a short demo of your clip showing the distortions?

Return to posts index

Andy Stokes
on Feb 18, 2010 at 8:29:33 am

Hi Eberhard,

Thanks for your response. I've posted a before and after clips here.

http://www.vimeo.com/9543764
http://www.vimeo.com/9543909

password : warp

The footage was shot handheld from a helicopter on a really grey day. To add to the horrible conditions there's also some quite severe bumps caused apparently by turbulence, which is what i'm trying to fix. Basically, I'm trying to see if there is anything I can salvage from the footage, then try and work some color magic in AE on the stabilized shots.

Initially I thought it could have been caused by the lense fringing on the top right, although the same happens when stabilizing the same clip with the edges cropped off.

I need to submit this tomorrow (HK Time). Any tips and/or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Andy

Return to posts index

Eberhard Ammelt
on Feb 18, 2010 at 9:18:28 am

Hello Andy,

thanks for posting the clips. I think the warping problem is related to radial optical distortion by the objective. This is quite pronounced when the tall building becomes visible at the end of the clip.
When stabilization is applied to such a clip, the center of the radial distortion is moved, which lets the distortion become more obvious.
What you could try to do is correct for the radial distortion before stabilization.

Regards, Eberhard

Return to posts index

Andy Stokes
on Feb 18, 2010 at 10:59:01 am

Thanks for taking a look and for the tip. Can you recommend a workflow for fixing the radial distortion? I'm doing some research now, but thought i'd ask if you had something in mind.

Thx Again.

Return to posts index

Eberhard Ammelt
on Feb 18, 2010 at 11:05:10 am

I'm not familiar with any radial undistort plugins, but I guess there are some for automatic or manual correction.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]