FORUMS: list search recent posts

Copying clips with SliceX tracking data to new project

COW Forums : CoreMelt Plug-ins

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jacob Anderson
Copying clips with SliceX tracking data to new project
on Jun 18, 2014 at 1:49:25 pm

Hello,

I am having difficulty determining the best way to transfer a batch of clips to a new project with a different frame rate.

I created a project a couple months ago with frame rate 23.xx and need the project to be 29.97p. In order to do this, I created a new project in Final Cut Pro X with the desired frame rate and copied all the content from the original project into the new project. SliceX apparantly didn't like this. The shape masks I created are skewed and not identical to those in the original project, as if the frame rate of the new project is disrupting the masks.

What's the best way to go about copy clips into a new project without disturbing SliceX tracking data for shape masks? We are using the blur tool.

Thanks!!

Return to posts index

Eberhard Ammelt
Re: Copying clips with SliceX tracking data to new project
on Jun 18, 2014 at 2:29:51 pm

Hello,

if you only change the frame rate of the project, there should be no problems as SliceX refers to the clip's frame rate. Please make sure you're using the latest version of SliceX.

Skewing of shape masks suggests that spatial properties have changed, can you check that?

Regards, Eberhard

Return to posts index

Jacob Anderson
on Jun 18, 2014 at 2:38:14 pm

The are the following steps I took:

1. Created new project with desired frame rate in initial New Project Menu (29.97p)
2. Selected all clips from previous project, which includes clips utilizing blur shape masks
3. Switched back to new project and pasted clips from previous project into new project
4. Rendered new project

I didn't alter the copied clips in any way, simply pasted them in. After it had rendered, I scrubbed through and noticed some, but not all, are way off. Can you elaborate on what you mean by changed in spatial properties?

What is the latest version of SliceX? Was there a fix recently? We purchased SliceX 2 weeks ago.

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Eberhard Ammelt
on Jun 18, 2014 at 3:25:37 pm

The latest version is 2.8.1, but 2.8 should not make a difference here.
By spatial properties I mean the new project size and the spatial adjustment of the clip in the new project.
I just did a quick test, and spatial changes should not cause this problem as well.
Are you using keyframes for the shape transformation in those instances which have this problem?
Can you please check the system log for possible error messages?

Eberhard

Return to posts index

Jacob Anderson
on Jun 18, 2014 at 4:06:49 pm

When you say project size, are you referring to the resolution? This size is the same as the previous project (1920 x 1080). Yes, most of the shape mask blurs are key-framed.

Are you referring to the Final Cut system log? Or does SliceX have a logging system built in?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Eberhard Ammelt
on Jun 18, 2014 at 4:43:12 pm

Yes, I mean width, height, and pixel aspect ratio of the project.
It's the system log which you can see when you open the Console application. Then choose "All Messages" and look for messages from Final Cut Pro. Paste a clip into the new project and see if there's a new message.

Now I suspect it's either a synchronization issue with the track transformation or with FCP X's parameter keyframing.
Can you please try to temporarily disable the track transformation in an instance where the problem appears? You can disable/enable the track transformation in the track controller panel.
Does the problem still appear?

Eberhard

Return to posts index

Jacob Anderson
on Jun 19, 2014 at 3:44:19 am

I did a test.

I took the clip from the original project (23.98p FPS), then went over to the new project which features the desired frame rate (29.97p) and the blur shape mask was skewed in an undesired way. I removed the clip from the new project, set the new project's frame rate to 23.98p and re-pasted the clip from the old project in and voila - the shape mask is not skewed. So it has to be dependent on the frame rate some how.

I looked at the console and no new messages appeared when pasting in the clip with either frame rate.

Console image:

http://i.imgur.com/y9wyCJh.png

Return to posts index

Eberhard Ammelt
on Jun 19, 2014 at 9:03:23 am

Thanks, there are no related messages in the log.
Can you please try to temporarily disable the track transforms after pasting the clip to see if the problem is caused by FCP X's parameter keyframing?

Eberhard

Return to posts index

Jacob Anderson
on Jun 19, 2014 at 7:37:33 pm

I deleted all keyframes (by pushing the button with the three keys and the x) and the shape is no longer skewed!!

How should I go about correcting the rest? Since, obviously, I will need those transformations in there (usually created when the track gets lost).

Return to posts index

Jacob Anderson
on Jun 20, 2014 at 12:51:31 am

This is an extremely time-sensitive issue. If you could please provide solutions at your earliest convenience, it would be greatly appreciated! :)

Return to posts index

Eberhard Ammelt
on Jun 20, 2014 at 7:44:02 am

In SliceX effects, such as blur shape mask, the shape transform is controlled and animated by the parameters "position, scale rotation" and the track transform only. In SliceX the keyframe controller (button with the three keys and the x, etc) refers only to point keyframes of polygon or bezier shapes not to the whole shape's transformation.
So when deleting these point keyframes changes the behavior in your case, the problem is about point animation not shape transform animation. This is an important distinction as these animation systems behave differently when changing the project's frame rate. While the shape transform parameter keyframes refer to the clip time, the point animation time is basically equal to the project time. This may cause the problem here when you change the project's frame rate.
Unfortunately, there's no workaround for this behavior.

Eberhard

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]