Editors Job - Relinking Media

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vishal Handa
Editors Job - Relinking Media
on Jan 6, 2018 at 7:32:31 pm

Hey there,

My first post here.

This may seem like a very simple question, but whose job is it to relink all the full resolution media when the timeline will be going to a colourist to colour grade. Is it the editors job, or is it acceptable to send a proxy timeline to a colourist and expect them to relink all the footage?

I.e. Editor edits 4K Red Footage in FCP7 and needs to use proxy files (720p mov) to edit on FCP.

I'm a director caught in the midst of some confusion and wanted some clarity from a bunch of professionals.

Cheers in advance,

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Editors Job - Relinking Media
on Jan 8, 2018 at 2:53:14 pm

Sounds like this is a conversation you should have with your colorist. If they quoted a rate on the expectation of not linking footage then you'll need to pay them more if you don't want to do it. Please don't get upset by this question, but why are you editing in FCP7?

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jan 9, 2018 at 5:04:27 pm

IMO it's the editor's responsibility (or the assistant editor's if there is an assistant editor). I want the colorist to spend as much time as possible coloring and as little time as possible dealing with technical issues.

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Jan 17, 2018 at 1:48:33 am

Most colorists that I work with ask for a collected project / managed project which only contains the media from the timeline so the re-link process isn't very time consuming.

And unfortunately I can't even remember how that process was done in FCP7.

I Hate Television. I Hate It As Much As Peanuts. But I Can’t Stop Eating Peanuts.
- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Feb 6, 2018 at 1:46:49 am

your editors job, of course.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]