FORUMS: list search recent posts

How do you make money editing?

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Reid Kimball
How do you make money editing?
on Sep 3, 2017 at 11:34:02 pm

Hello,

I see more people talking about how hard it is to make money as an artist these days. The business models have changed rapidly because of the internet. We're all part of one huge experiment where the variables are changing before we can conclude our analysis of what is working or not. You can't make money streaming and with ad revenue like in the early days of YouTube oh 10 years ago. Tech is cheaper and information is more widespread, which leads to more competition. Social media is noisy and depressing.

The area I live in has a poor economy and the local TV stations dominate business video market offering commercials for $200 bucks or less. I can't compete with that. Nor do I want to because my best work is in documentary, music videos, and wedding videos. With the wedding videos, I also can't find a way to compete with the established high-end wedding video producers. The music videos are few and far between and usually $200 - $300 each, which isn't enough.

My goal is to supplement my part-time teaching job with freelance, remote video editing jobs, but it's extremely difficult finding jobs. I simply don't now where to look and how to be selected for the job over others.

I'd like to move into editing narrative short films, but I don't know if people get paid for that work and how well. Thoughts?

Really struggling here, any advice, or resources you recommend I am open to it. Thanks for your time.

-Reid

Return to posts index

grinner hester
Re: How do you make money editing?
on Sep 9, 2017 at 11:49:43 pm

State your rate, do a better job than anyone else can, then go to the bank.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]