FORUMS: list search recent posts

Text Covering Face

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Habitan
Text Covering Face
on May 3, 2017 at 7:14:27 am

I know that it's a big no-no to have text cover someone's face in a video, but I'm in a situation at the moment where I'm placing a text containing someone's name next to the person in question but it is placed over another person standing next to the former.

Are instances such as this an exception to the rule or should I absolutely have to avoid it at all cost?

I appreciate anyone who could give their 10 cents on this.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Text Covering Face
on May 3, 2017 at 2:13:02 pm

Why can't you put it at the bottom of your screen? And can you illustrate the problem with a still or drawing?

One technique that can be used for thirds is to freeze-frame the video, pull it back on the z-axis and push it flush left or right, over a gradient background, and now you have PIP box with the speaker plus next to it, a space to put in text or whatever else you need, then reverse the move, cut straight back to the speech at the place you froze, or dissolve/wipe to it.

Return to posts index

James Habitan
on May 3, 2017 at 2:50:25 pm

https://f1.creativecow.net/11322/sample-visual-representation

I'm using Premiere Pro CC and the text is a dynamic linked file from After Effects with a simple animation transition effect. The scene s on for only 3-4 seconds which is long enough to read the text.

I'm thinking of just making one line for all the text instead of two, but what do you think?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on May 3, 2017 at 2:55:08 pm

In the sample you gave, it would be better to fly text above the heads or along the very bottom. Across the face looks bad.
You could go unconventional, if the material allows, and stack the type up the sides of the frame, vertically

Return to posts index

James Habitan
on May 3, 2017 at 3:37:16 pm

I'll see what I can do. I'm just worried on a potential imbalance caused by moving the text someplace else if I were to preview the scene.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]