FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dragon voice-to-text software for transcripts

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Cole
Dragon voice-to-text software for transcripts
on Nov 5, 2016 at 1:44:51 pm

It's been awhile since I've tried to use Dragon voice-to-text software for transcripts.

There's a new edition (#13) on sale today at B&H, and I wonder whether anyone has used it successfully to transcribe recorded audio files.

Thanks.

Bob C

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Dragon voice-to-text software for transcripts
on Nov 7, 2016 at 2:42:32 pm

Dragon has always been pretty good, IF you take the step of "re-speaking" the audio into it with just one voice. I'd probably go ahead and buy it, along with a headset mic for the re-speaking part. But you can also use Youtube to do this job for free. Set up an account and make it "unlisted". Upload your video or in your case, audio with bars, and the Youtube A.I. will do a fair job on it if the sound was clear and the speech was distinct. I'd grade it at 80 to 90 percent, using good raw material. Then you can enter an "edit mode" on the closed captions to read through and correct the mistakes. You can then download a text file or one of several formats for making captions, then delete the source video on the Youtube site. It's a kludge, but it's free.

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Nov 7, 2016 at 3:16:35 pm

Very clever Mark. I went ahead and updated, and will report soon.

Bob C

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Nov 14, 2016 at 4:20:59 pm

Use drag on to Dick Tait the results. I yam Curios two sea how well it bannanas.

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Dec 6, 2016 at 3:06:26 am

Here's the report: In order for Dragon to transcribe your interviewees, you'll need to get them to record a short script from Dragon. I suppose that would be possible, but I don't know whether the people we interview would want to do that.

Bob C

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Dec 6, 2016 at 5:25:54 am

No, they don't have to read the special script: you do, Bob. You train the thing to a high accuracy on yourself, then you put on headphones with a boom mic and you listen to the video, repeating everything word-for-word. It's called: "re-speaking", and that's how you fill in the missing piece the A.I. has having trouble with - different voices, with different accents and dialects.

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Dec 6, 2016 at 11:24:40 am

Right. Have done that. What I am still looking for is the Holy Grail: import audio file, get transcript.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]