FORUMS: list search recent posts

Tackling post on a big (many hours) adventure doc...

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Hannon
Tackling post on a big (many hours) adventure doc...
on Jun 21, 2016 at 10:01:24 pm

Hey guys,

I've been doing a little bit of browsing, and have come across some interesting bits and pieces, but I also wanted to put it out to the CC community to see what sort of opinions fellow filmmakers/editors share?

I'm about to launch into my first professional feature film, an adventure documentary shot over the last 2 years.

I once cut a 52 minute documentary for my Masters degree, and I wouldn't say it was terrible (it won best student film for the year), and so I learnt a few things from that and i'm not completely in the dark, but my question is:

What is the best workflow for tackling 10TB of footage? Actually that's not really my question, that's ridiculous as I would never expect anyone to take the time to detail that sort of information here in a forum, and also I worked as an editor for a couple of years and know enough at least to be competent. I am not a beginner, and i've got my own workflow, but i'm sure I could improve on it...

What are the things that you'd wished you'd done before you'd set all your in and out points, before making all those different bins and sequences, was there a little gem of a tip that might've saved you time in the long run if you had of done things a little differently?

Or how about sharing an epic blog post of someone who has taken the time to detail an amazing workflow (Adobe)?

An example might be that you used tags on each clip as set your points, so that you could later type in a tag name and be offered a plethora of relevant clips to choose from...

Or perhaps you're more old-school and you've got some sweet pen and paper strategies that help to save time in the long run?

Perhaps the only answer is a motherload of coffee???

Who knows?! All I know is that i've got a hell of a lot of work cut out for me, and i'd really appreciate people's opinions who have legitimate experience in cutting big projects.

Thanks very much for reading, and thanks even more if you've got a moment to drop a line...

PS. I'll be using the Adobe suite for everything (except the grade i'd imagine).

Muchas gracias from Ushuaia, the southernmost city in the world (arrived here today after 2 years on the road!).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]