FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avid VS Resolve

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Miranda Shar
Avid VS Resolve
on Jun 18, 2016 at 3:07:59 am

Hi

I was wondering if i could get some advice on editing software. I have Resolve Lite at home that I'm becoming familiar with but I also know that Avid is considered industry standard as well. Is it better to use Avid or both or just get skilled in one?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: Avid VS Resolve
on Aug 4, 2016 at 3:00:01 am

To answer that, you need to articulate why you need an NLE in the first place.

Do you just want to create your own content?
Are you going to seek an employee seat in a large editing shop? If so, how large?
What hardware do you have access to, including the OS and machine specifications?
Are you going to be creating content for theaters or network TV? or will your work be going largely direct to the web?

Unless you can answer these kinds of questions, it's impossible to give you advice on what might be the best NLE to get your needs.

Of the two you mention, learning AVID generally sets you on a long path toward a seat in someone elses larger shop. The bet is that when you're seasoned enough to fill that seat, the AVID system is still as popular as it is today.
Resolve is, IMO, a decent and improving NLE bolted onto a superior color correcting program. That fact that it's free is amazing. The question is whether and how rapidly it's NLE component might develop into a full enough featured NLE to attract editors to switch from the current market leaders, ADOBE, APPLE and AVID and adopt Resolve as their primary tool.

Good luck.
Just an observation.

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]