FORUMS: list search recent posts

Camera Positions and focal lengths of a 2 camera interview

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Craig
Camera Positions and focal lengths of a 2 camera interview
on May 22, 2016 at 11:55:40 pm

Hi guys

I have an interview to film in a couple of days and I would like to get some assistance on the best positions of the two cameras I will be filming with and the focal lengths of these two cameras.

The edited interview will only be around 90 seconds and mixed with B-Roll and the interviewer will not be seen. Just the interviewee.

I have recently purchased a slider which moves back and forth automatically and I would like to use it.

In the example image above of my layout,

1. Should camera A or B be the fixed camera?
2. What focal lengths should i use?
3. Should both cameras be at the same height?

Thanks a lot for any assistance.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Camera Positions and focal lengths of a 2 camera interview
on May 23, 2016 at 3:59:51 pm

A is fixed. B should be behind A, not to the side. Take pains to see that A and B keep the eyes at the same spot on the screen in terms of a horizontal eye line, regardless of lens length, and your cuts will look better.

You could just use A and shoot 4K, then punch-in for the closeups in post.

If you use the slider to get an un-motivated side shot of the guest talking, I will have to come over there and smack you with a c-stand:-)

Return to posts index

Chris Craig
on May 23, 2016 at 10:04:47 pm

Thanks Mark. I appreciate your advice.

I dont have access to 4K. Im shooting with a C100 and Canon 7D. I would assume that A is a wide to medium shot and B would be alot tighter.

Im interested to understand why you think a slider as Camera B is wrong in this situation.

Thanks once again.
Chris

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on May 24, 2016 at 4:30:04 pm

I'm not categorically against sliders, but I do believe they are over-used right now and often used inappropriately. The slow motion moves are addictive, but I don't know that they are always the best way to tell a specific story, and in the case you state, where the finished project is very short, perhaps slider moves really are not necessary.

Return to posts index

Warren Eig
on May 24, 2016 at 5:36:37 pm

Craig,

I've done this set up side by side many times. It depends what size the room is and how close you want the cameras to the subject for the focal lengths. It's best to decide this on the day by looking at the monitors and seeing if you like composition, framing, size.

If you go to my website: http://www.BabyBoomPictures.com and go to the REELS dropdown menu and select Directing, click corporate/branding you can see some examples I did for Siemens Hearing with this camera set up. (Check out any of the Siemens Hearing videos)

Warren Eig
O 310-470-0905

email: info@babyboompictures.com

For Camera Accessories - Monitors and Batteries

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]