FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is Apple redefining Safe Title?

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anthony Dalesandro
Is Apple redefining Safe Title?
on Mar 22, 2016 at 5:12:48 pm

Watching the video on ResearchKit at Apple's latest Keynote (http://youtu.be/lYC6riNxmis), I noticed the lower thirds were pretty close to the corners of my TV screen (I was watching it on my Apple TV on a TV). It didn't look like Safe Title to me.

I know that in 2009 the SMPTE updated Safe Title/Safe Action to reflect digital broadcast and fixed pixel displays (SMPTE ST 2046-1) Not that anyone is following them, but even that spec makes the updated Safe Title basically the equivalent of the old Safe Action. In the screen shot (From Premiere CC) the Apple titles aren't even in the old Safe Action.

I wonder if they're acknowledging this video will be web based only and putting the titles wherever they please?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Is Apple redefining Safe Title?
on Mar 22, 2016 at 9:20:29 pm

Probably.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Mar 23, 2016 at 12:09:35 am

[Anthony Dalesandro] "I wonder if they're acknowledging this video will be web based only and putting the titles wherever they please?"

I'd say so. I've done a lot of work for the web and most of the time producers want the titles out of title safe because they think it looks better and it's not going to be aired.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 23, 2016 at 3:42:52 am

One point I'd make about that practice, though, is that if people watch their streamed video with the play bar actively superimposed in that bottom space (and I think that's pretty common), that bar will obscure all your lower-thirds titling.

Return to posts index

Bob Roberts
on Mar 24, 2016 at 3:42:56 pm

+1 on the lower thirds being obscured by the play bar. Ran into that recently with a bunch of product videos. Also lower third covered by pop up adds on YouTube and other streaming video sites.

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Apr 5, 2016 at 12:11:23 pm

apple is not redefining it. It's need going away is.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]