FORUMS: list search recent posts

What's wrong with Final Cut X???

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alessandro Vaccaro
What's wrong with Final Cut X???
on Feb 10, 2016 at 5:19:19 pm

Just wondering? What's the matter with Final Cut X?

I believe it is the person using the tool not the tool being used (to a certain extent).

Why can't I make just as good as an edit in FCX as in Premiere Pro or Avid? If you write good music, it ultimately shouldn't matter which program you use to input your notes.

I want some legit facts to as why FCX is a unprofessional system.

Return to posts index

Russell Anderson
Re: What's wrong with Final Cut X???
on Feb 12, 2016 at 4:29:45 pm

you can use anything you want, agreed. if you're working alone, doing your own stuff, you could use CHAINSAWLINX and get good results.

The reason FCPX was universally panned was because it didn't fit into anyone's pipeline when it was initially released. It was the follow up to their democratizing and Avid-killing editing software, so there were some high expectations.

Problem was, it didn't fit into anyone's pipelines. It couldn't be part of any pipeline, actually. FCPX didn't include AAFs, EDLs, OMFs, all of the required tools to integrate into other houses' workflows. Eventually they started adding these features, but by then it was already a PR nightmare.

Professionals split tasks up. Sound, color, editing, effects, cleanup, finishing, etc. We do this not because we're lazy, but because if we did everything ourselves, we would A) not be stellar at any single thing and B) be spending more time on a single project instead of moving onto the next thing and really honing our craft. I'd personally rather be editing more stuff than having to deal with mixing/coloring/onlining and dealing with client notes every step of the way.

To add insult to injury, there was also a steep learning curve for people coming from other NLEs. IMO this wouldn't have been a problem (Apple has some serious fanpeople in entertainment). I think they'd have been willing to learn it and push through, had the system actually be able to be used professionally.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 13, 2016 at 1:48:06 am

Sorry but there's a lot of misinformation in your post. Yes, the way X was launched has been criticized, but by design, Apple has designed a simple, yet powerful program. It does rely on third-party apps for certain list features, but the truth is that these tools are actually better than what Avid and Adobe have integrated into their NLEs. FWIW - some of these same criticisms could be applied to Premiere Pro, which also requires third-party tools for certain functions.

Currently there are two studio films that have been cut with FCPX ("Focus" and "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot"), not to mention numerous US indies and international films, as well. I have personally cut an indie feature with FCPX back in the early days (10.0.9), which I carried through to turnover for sound and color correction. So the bottom line is that there's nothing about FCPX that prevents it from being used in professional work, including commercial, corporate, TV show and feature films.

A good source for some case studies is FCP.co. But for more fun and games and back and forth, you might check out some of the livelier threads in the FCPX Debate forum :)

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Feb 20, 2016 at 4:56:18 pm

The reason X was initally panned is that editors had Grown accustomed to the idea that all NLEs would stay largely where they were in the 1990s. But things had changed. Apple knew that.

Many Pro editors felt pro editing should stay constant around the skillsets they had mastered. Including OMF support and always treating audio and video separately, even tho most cameras have long since switched to generating single digital streams containing both video and audio content.

The one who saw what X was actually about - an NLE for the new rich metadata era where editing wouldn't always need to be done by those trained in older technologies.

There are now huge newsrooms, motion picture sets, documentary crews and millions of general editors worldwide who now know WHY Apple reinvented the NLE. Times had changed.

There is nothing wrong with editing on a modern version of a tool that sticks with 1980s editorial ideas.

And there's nothing wrong with enjoying the ideas that evolved into FCP X.

Simple as that.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]