FORUMS: list search recent posts

Basic workflow advice needed for editing short narrative scene

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Schubb
Basic workflow advice needed for editing short narrative scene
on May 23, 2015 at 5:47:11 pm

Would appreciate any advice about how to approach for this small project... Am way out of my league; have been drafted as unqualified-editor-of-last-resort to assemble a rough cut of a 2-3 minute scene I shot with two actors. (Unpaid project for a friend, of course)

Have 90 mins of AVCHD footage from a GH4 with 4 tracks of external wav files from a recorder. After a lot of sync errors in Plural Eyes and much back and forth w/ Red Giant, I now have one long synced sequence w/ 6 audio tracks in my timeline.

Basically, the first 45 minutes is coverage of one actor and the second 45 minutes is the other actor.

Should I just cut this on the timeline? Trimming away until I have the selects for both characters... which would total maybe four minutes of material. And then moving the second actor's shots up on the timeline?

Or is there a smarter way to do this? Maybe cutting this one long sequence into a bin of selected takes and then adding them into the timeline? That seems better, but I'm not sure how to go about doing that.

(Am also baffled by an additional wrinkle... when I duplicate the sequence and start chopping it, I seem to lose access to all the extra audio tracks. When I click to access the audio tracks, it reopens a new sequence window with the 90 min uncut sequence. Should I be cleaning up the audio first? And then duping the sequence and editing for picture?)

Please forgive my ignorance! And thanks in advance for any advice on how I should approach this "learning experience."

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]