FORUMS: list search recent posts

Finding / using movie footage to practice editing

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Malamatinas
Finding / using movie footage to practice editing
on May 6, 2015 at 9:17:26 am

I'm trying to learn some basics of editing; both the use of editing to tell the story and the technical side i.e. learning the Editing tools and software - mainly so I have a better appreciation of the art.

I see a lot of examples online of where people have re-edited footage from movies, either an entire movie, scenes within a movie or a compilation of many scenes from many movies (like those 'super' montages you see on YouTube). How do those editors generally get hold of that footage? Is there a resource where clips are available (highly unlikely given piracy), or are people simply ripping their DVD collections?

If it's the later are there specific tools that make this easy? I have a large DVD/Blu-ray collection which I could use for my own personal use, but how would I rip the footage efficiently, rather than copying / pasting all the files etc?

Suggestions much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Finding / using movie footage to practice editing
on May 6, 2015 at 2:34:55 pm

They're probably ripping from their DVD/BluRay collections. Handbrake used to be the go-to for this sort of thing, I don't know what the cool kids use now.

There's at least one COW contributor who markets a kit of raw scenes specifically shot for an editing class. So you don't have to use Roger Ebert's "The Heist" or the older "Gunsmoke" tutorial footage any more - unless you want to.

I'm blanking at the moment on the name of the person who offers that footage, but I'm sure he'll eventually see this and respond.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jun 30, 2015 at 4:05:24 am

That's me Mark.

StartEditingNow is designed for schools - but a lot of individual editors have bought it too.

It has special "multi-track movies" that can be cut and recut and re-recut into different versions of the same scene so that you're not sunk after you cut the scene once. (also, 30 students in a class can all it the same footage and come up with 30 different story variations, which makes classroom review much more interesting!)

The scenes are also designed to force issues like jump cuts and crossing the line in action coverage, and the lessons included (which can be ignored at will!) help the editor understand how to address them. Plus the package contains not just the primary scenes, but B-Roll as well.

http://www.starteditingnow.com

FWIW

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on May 6, 2015 at 9:32:41 pm

[James Malamatinas] "Is there a resource where clips are available"

Not really.

Also check out Bill Davis. His picture is above, in this forum. He sells footage that has been shot in coverage and can be used to learn editing.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on May 8, 2015 at 4:36:16 pm

It's not famous footage, but this scenario is the reason EditStock was created.

Return to posts index

James Malamatinas
on May 25, 2015 at 1:46:46 pm

Apologies for the late update but thanks for all your replies, they're very useful, I'll check them out and start experimenting!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]