FORUMS: list search recent posts

WMM and is it worth archiving?

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Daley
WMM and is it worth archiving?
on Mar 17, 2015 at 1:15:26 pm

Hello, apologies if this is the wrong section only I was struggling to find an appropriate place to ask this. also apologies for the subject itself as I know Windows Movie Maker isnt exactly listed as a "cutting edge NLE"But I am curious. I first started producing my own films back in 2005/2006 and when it came to my very first editing programme I happened to choose Windows Movie Maker for Vista. I edited on Movie Maker for a good 2-3 years before trading up to Sony Vegas in 2009 and now to FCP 7 and X today, but in that time I had produced 2 films and a good handful of shorter 2-3 minute projects.

I saved all of these projects both as a .mswmm project file and an .AVI finished project under the impression that in future I would be able to come back to them or to hold them both in my archive should I need them. Skip forward to 2015 and now not only do I operate on a completely different OS (Currently running mac) but I am really struggling to find any alternative software that can even read .MSWMM files.This year Ive decided to finally organise my earlier work into a proper archived and labelled system but ultimately Im wondering whether there is really any point in even keeping these .MSWMM files or whether to get rid of them and just try to reassemble the footage in a NLE and export it as an .XML file...I always believe in making sure that I keep every single stage of a production completely in tact (I still have full production files from films I made in High school xD ) but part of me just thinks that these project files are now more or less unreadable on any NLE's (Im not too sure if they'll work in Movie maker live but I dont have a windows to go and check) So my question ultimately really is: Are these project files really worth keeping or can I throw them away safe in the knowlege they will most probably never be properly useable again? (I will still keep the .AVI files just to clarify)

Thank you for your time! :)

Return to posts index

Steve Kownacki
Re: WMM and is it worth archiving?
on Mar 17, 2015 at 10:32:31 pm

Archiving in any form is cheap insurance. As soon as you delete them, that's when you'll get the call.

Steve

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]