FORUMS: list search recent posts

Important broadcast show editing question???

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jake Cauty
Important broadcast show editing question???
on Nov 18, 2014 at 2:11:43 pm
Last Edited By Jake Cauty on Nov 18, 2014 at 2:36:10 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm editing a 26minute show for broadcast and have infront of me a rough cut programme, roughly to length. It needs master voice recorded, onlining, grading, audio mixing, polishing, imagine stabilisation, lower 3rds and scoreboards designed and dropped in, credits, opening titles, end part stings etc. Quality control to be done before exporting. It's cut from a week long sports event and an ingest of 800GB. Roughly, how long should one leave to complete this process? Including doing 6 different playouts with 6 different tech specs, and 6 DVDs. I've done this before and I feel that 15 hours isn't long enough.......

Thoughts would be appreciated :) thanks

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Important broadcast show editing question???
on Nov 18, 2014 at 2:54:42 pm

The "magic" or "smartass" answer is that it will take just as long as the client or broadcast deadline give you. Meaning, the more time you have available, the more effort you will spend on the details and fine-ness of the cut. A ridiculously short deadline means you have to triage the project, and spend your time where it matters most. Some things you will leave less "finished" or polished, than you wanted. That's the nature of artistic, creative work. A famous saying about that is that art projects are NEVER completed, merely abandoned at a deadline.

Is it possible to team-up with someone to tackle the work simultaneously? That is, one person building graphics and laying down sound/ tweaking the mix, while the other does things like color grading? You would work from copies of the same project file, sharing the media in mutually-acessible storage.

Return to posts index

Jake Cauty
on Nov 18, 2014 at 9:03:00 pm

Thanks for the reply. I thought as much..it's a shame a lot of people don't want to pay for the time to make it better. I was handed a rough cut show and 2 days to single handedly do all of the above, and as you say, something were abandoned...What you described would be ideal, but sadly could not be.

Thanks, I appreciate the comments :)

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
on Nov 24, 2014 at 7:16:23 pm
Last Edited By Andrew Rendell on Nov 24, 2014 at 7:22:01 pm

The end of the fine cutting is known as picture lock, at that point graphics may be rough versions, supers won't be lined up to the appropriate safe area, commentary will be a rough recording for timing (your own or an EPs voice).

Once you get to picture lock, you can split sound and pictures. Recording master voice and doing the sound mix can be done in a day as long as there isn't any more sound design / track laying to be done. The same for pictures, grading can be done inside a day if you're just going for even-ness and level correction and aren't ambitious for anything creative, designing scoreboards is a day in itself but dropping them into the online can be done pretty quickly once they're prepared, maybe an hour but it depends how many there are. Then recombining audio with pictures ought to be very quick as well.

QC and exports for broadcast is more complex than it used to be, that's a day in itself for 6 versions in my opinion.

If you've taken on 4 days work on a 2 day schedule you'll have to be really focussed on where you need to spend time to do things properly and where you can get away with as less ideal result, maybe using clippers to keep levels "safe", etc.

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Nov 29, 2014 at 3:27:22 am

a week otta gitter dun... depending on design of the grafix, ect.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]