FORUMS: list search recent posts

LUTs

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
grinner hester
LUTs
on Oct 20, 2014 at 1:39:08 pm

Whew! What a weekend.
Hours and hours of extensive intake from Alister Chapman and Bruce Logan. From Star Wars to Feat and Loathing Las Vegas to Sony's consultant... man the knowledge these two shared was incredible. While I loved every minute of it, my biggest take away (other than make two great friends) was LUTs (Look Up Tables). Never have I used them. I'm a very visual editor so I admot, when it comes to grading, I tend to drag things until it looks great. Truth is one can mud up certain footages... especially Sony footage as, depending on what camera it came from, the green is off on the color triangle so as you add saturation, you also offset the greens. I did not know this until this weekend. For me, this is where LUTs come in. Cutting it down quite basically, a LUT can not only get you completely set with one click.... but a generic LUT will realign that green point... allowing you to now begin color grading with every in line.
Now this all may sound more technical than creative, and indeed there is nothing creative about creating LUTs but let me explain it this way... You want to paint a beautiful masterpiece. To do this, First you get all your tools and canvas prepped. Look at LUTs the exact same way. Once you wrap your head around em, I promise you will stand up from your way too sat in edit chair with a "wooohoo!"
You can literally shave hours from your day.
LUT on and prosper.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: LUTs
on Oct 20, 2014 at 2:44:53 pm

I've always looked at LUTs as a kind of voodoo, myself, and haven't really had an application where I felt i could apply them yet.

Return to posts index

grinner hester
Re: LUTs
on Oct 22, 2014 at 6:05:30 pm

Most powerful. I am addicted now.
Playing with them in Premiere right now with animated feathered masks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]