amature in editing. Where to begin?

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
yusra azhar
amature in editing. Where to begin?
on Jul 23, 2014 at 4:44:37 pm
Last Edited By yusra azhar on Jul 24, 2014 at 12:00:41 pm

Dear Friends,

Hi i found this forum while searching and browsing for courses in linear editing.
Iam totally illiterate in regards to film & editing technically.

the only thing i know about is watchhing interesting movies, yes, looking at good direction, light effects and praising, understanding sound effects on a common man level, and yes can point out good bad effects and edits in a movie.
I have tried out different carriers, main career has been a dancer and could not really see where i was heading.
i have decided to have a change of career and that is Linear editing.
been researching alot but google is of not much help at the moment.
what to read to educate myself in this field and where to practically begin as totally being new to this field.

Well yeh i know what you are thinking.... lolz!

so can you guide a little to learn video editing and pursue a career in it where to start.
i just know the basics of computer. Havent tried hands on any other software.
Could anyone suggest what course i should take on as an intro to editing and then where to head on from there?

i have done a GCSE and i live in london.
iam a female 35 years old.

found about final cut pro and adobe premier edit courses is it ok to begin from here?

Thank you!

Regards,
yusra

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: amature in editing. Where to begin?
on Jul 23, 2014 at 6:37:43 pm

To study "linear" editing, you need a history course because it's all but extinct. :-) What's common now is non-linear editing (NLE)

To get a nice overview of editing, search for the AFI tribute to editing:

You are being a bit over-ambitious I think. While you could take a one-week course in how to work NLE software, this doesn't really teach you anything about editing. You're going to have to go back to school, as well as self-teach thru books and videos and hands-on experimentation. There are no real short-cuts.

Return to posts index

yusra azhar
Re: amature in editing. Where to begin?
on Jul 24, 2014 at 11:58:07 am

Dear Mark,

Thank you for your reply.
The cutting edge link is magnificent...editing technique is the entire creativity to form a film. adding flash back of past,of future and present has so many angles, close up. full body and different light effects. its WOW!!! thank you Mark for sharing this link ...i continued looking at all its parts.

yes, linear and non linear editing i was reading about and by mistake typed only linear instead of non linear.
hahahah seems like old age is coming lolz! ;-)

yes, iam planning to start from the beginning to study non linear editing and not looking for short cuts at all....that i have done rather in my teens not anymore. lolz!
yes, mark felt like have to take a start from somewhere so why not from this short course at least will get me moving.and to volunteer in this field i need to know something was the reson behind it apart from creativity, interest and motivation.
though i understand a lot of hands on experience is required for it.
and reading as you shared.
could you suggest any books?
My knowledge about editing is Nil and iam lately reading material on purpose of editing in films etc through internet.

and also which place local tv, radio, would be good to volunteer to start take hands on experience as a beginner in the editing field.

i would appreciate if you could share some more info in how to get into this field. it meaans alot. thnx!

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Amateur in editing. Where to begin?
on Jul 24, 2014 at 3:59:40 pm

A lot of people recommend the books by Walter Murch. I think if you start there, on Amazon.com, Amazon will suggest other books to complement that. One of the things I would suggest for you is to buy a used copy of the college textbooks used in Tv production. Herb Zettl's books are classics, and even older editions are still useful.

http://www.amazon.com/Television-Production-Handbook-Herbert-Zettl/dp/05346...

Read thru the whole book to understand how all aspects of production inter-relate. Then do more focused reading on editing specifically. Look up Eisenstein and Kuleshov and Griffith in wikipedia, follow up on all the links in the articles about them, and specifically their contributions to the art of montage theory. Read up on Thelma Schoonmaker's amazing career. Read about how JAWS was saved and made great by editing, when the robot sharks all failed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thelma_Schoonmaker

Once you have read up on editing theory, and you understand montage, parallel action, cutting on action, J-cuts, L-cuts, flashbacks, flash-forwards, linear and non-linear storytelling, and all the other terms, then you can start practicing these concepts for real.

There are kits of pre-made footage available for sale that allow you to work with raw takes of scenes, from multiple camera angles, and re-compose them in any number of ways, to achieve desired results. One of our own COW members in the editing forums sells them to schools. There are others out there too.

Use whatever editing software you have/can afford: at this early stage, a specific type doesn't matter as all you will be practicing is making cuts and occasionally, dissolves or fades. Don't neglect audio: cutting and shaping audio is much more important to good video than most people realize.

I've been feeding myself and my family a an editor for over 25 years now, but I wouldn't call it generally a stable or particularly lucrative career for most people. You do it first because you are an artist, a story-teller, and it is what you love, and you try to also make a buck while you're doing it. if you go into it with money as the primary motivation, you're going to have a lot of frustration.

Return to posts index

yusra azhar
on Jul 25, 2014 at 8:30:30 am

Dear Mark

Gratitude to you for taking out time & sharing in so much helpful detailed information _/\_

Iam all ready for it. :-)

Well, money is not my priority at the moment.
But Passion is!!

Tried lots of stuff in my life in arts from painting, print making to ceramics.
From dance to Zumba.
I was not the lucky clear minded centered creative person
Then who could tell since teens what is there goal in life
Hahaha
Life been amazing though I learnt so many skills.
an internal call never came that this is it!!!

But This call has come in editing.to be honest iam not thinking Big!!! At all.... Just excited to take small lil baby steps :-) whatever I can put in.
Rest existence is already doing its work for each of us.

It must be hard work but iam not afraid of hard work.
Actually what you have shared for reading & continuing on further it's creating & developing more motivation & interest.

So Now will begin with material you have gratefully shared.
Iam glad I have come across an experienced person as you to share his knowledge 25 years a lot of time :-)
It's the best part of life that it's not perfect and it comes in all colors. That's why it's beautiful.
The biggest inspiration it is it's constantly creating & makes us learn so much each day.
Hahaha :-)

Thank you sooo much!

Best wishes
Yusra

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jul 25, 2014 at 8:00:16 pm

You're welcome, and good luck with your studies.

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
on Jul 26, 2014 at 2:55:38 pm

In London (assuming you mean London, England) there are a number of big facilities that employ runners. It's fairly menial but you get to meet people and can usually get from making tea and coffee to technical operations if you show a bit of dedication and attention to detail. Look up companies like Clear Cut, Envy, Evolutions, The Farm Group, Halo, Prime Focus... Some west end newsagents stock Broadcast magazine that's worth an occasional read to keep up with what's going on.

As a freelancer I probably spend fifteen or twenty weeks a year working in facilities (the rest is on my own kit at home or in the BBC) and I'm usually happy to talk to runners and junior tech ops, let them sit in (it can depend on the job though), and I don't think I'm unusual in that. TBH, learning to read the situation, when it's OK to talk/when it's time to not get in the way, is one of the vital skills that can only be learnt by experience.

It's probably fair to say that most of us cutters on London didn't study editing theory formally before we started doing it, the culture is much more one of finding mentors and working your way in (I don't mind admitting that I'm a college drop out, and my original subject had nothing to do with media anyway).

Like Mark, I've been making a decent enough living from editing for a couple of decades, but it took several years to get to this position and it's not something that I expect to make me rich (I've always paid my own way and could never afford to work for free, but I worked for lousy wages early on and stuck at it when others gave up).

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Aug 1, 2014 at 7:47:36 pm

[Mark Suszko] "There are kits of pre-made footage available for sale that allow you to work with raw takes of scenes, from multiple camera angles, and re-compose them in any number of ways, to achieve desired results. One of our own COW members in the editing forums sells them to schools. There are others out there too. "

Yusra,

Mark's talking about my program StarEditingNow.

My personal view is that encouraging women to explore the art of editing is always a good thing.

I appreciate your attitude and your desire to learn. In that spirit, if you'd like a complimentary copy of my program, just use the link to drop me a email and I'll have my wife send one out to you.

The price is just a pledge that if you do embark on this as a career, and have found my program useful to your learning - you continue to reach out and help young people who perhaps wish to follow in your footsteps.

Good luck.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

David Howard
on Aug 4, 2014 at 7:16:41 am

Best way to begin is just to jump into it. Do a bit of research, but an edit software you like and then watch tutorials on youtube. May take a few months to get the hang of it but you will get there.

Redefined Media

Video Production Sydney

Return to posts index

yusra azhar
on Aug 4, 2014 at 3:51:14 pm

Dear David & all friends here

Thank you!
For the all the little help & encouragement :-)

Best wishes

Yusra

Return to posts index

yusra azhar
on Aug 4, 2014 at 3:58:18 pm

As you all have gratefully shared your experiences

Just a tiny Vinci starting update :-)

I have started with reading what Mark shared.
Waiting for the books to be delivered.
& enrolled to learn basics of practical editing.
Before getting in touch with companies which Andrew mentioned just educating myself with basic & knowledge & a lil homework.

Joy, celebration & peace
Sent your way.

Regards,

Yusra

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]