FORUMS: list search recent posts

In drama what motivates the close up

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jon Fidler
In drama what motivates the close up
on May 25, 2014 at 7:32:02 pm

Im sure theres a simple answer to this question but it eludes me when watching a drama. Most conversations take place in medium close ups and usually cut to close for what im assuming is the most dramatic part of the scene. And in some other scenes the close up isnt used at all, im sorry if this is a silly question ive not been able to find any info on this online and everyone on here has been very insightful in the past!

Thanks

Jon

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: In drama what motivates the close up
on May 26, 2014 at 1:13:34 am

Personally? When the eyes and mouth are being especially subtle, so it depends on the quality of the performance. When you're trying to show an internal thought process like a sudden flash of insight or realization. The wider the pupils open, the more erotic or at least inviting the partner's gaze becomes. That's one reason romantic dinners are candlelit: the low light levels make people's irises widen, suggesting more interest i the person across the table, whether it's emotionally motivated or not.

Return to posts index

Rebecca Sales
on Jun 14, 2014 at 5:41:45 am

Great explanation. I am studying Interactive Digital Media at TAFE and it has a camera subject in it. So I find you information interesting.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on May 27, 2014 at 11:41:56 pm

Think about it this way. Through most of life, we observe things from a comfortable distance. But there are times we seek out closeness. We close to touch at times of high emotion. Kiss or slap. Hug or fight. We move close to engage more powerfly, more intimately. The director understands this. And wielding the camera as our surrogate, safely helps bring us as close as we crave. Or perhaps too close for comfort.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Jun 3, 2014 at 1:19:49 am

Here's the movie that invented the close up as narrative device, to get into the character's emotions.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0019254/

That's according to film history class from some time ago, at least.

Return to posts index

Robert Lee
on Aug 9, 2014 at 4:44:20 pm

That's a great question... When you must point out the character's reaction at that particular point in the story. Or the person listening is truly captivated by what the character in close up is saying (so using it as a point of view of the scene). And of course, if you wish to show how the character is is speaking, i.e., maybe there is some subtext that you will not see in a medium or wide shot!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]