ProRes422 footage, recommended workflow

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Spyros Skandalos
ProRes422 footage, recommended workflow
on May 22, 2014 at 2:49:36 pm
Last Edited By Spyros Skandalos on May 22, 2014 at 2:53:26 pm

Good evening,

We just finished shooting a road-documentary.

We shot on a BlackMagic Pocket (ProRes422 1920x1080).
Sound have been recorded on an external device.

Our footage is aprox. 20 hours and we plan to make a 90min documentary.

There are very long takes and we want to choose the desired parts of every take. (I mention this because fcpx has this really fast clip rating procedure)

The post production will be done on a MacBook Pro 16gb RAM.

Taking into account all of the above which would it be the best NLE system and/or workflow for this project?

Thanks in advance
Spyros

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
Re: ProRes422 footage, recommended workflow
on May 28, 2014 at 4:13:28 pm
Last Edited By Andrew Rendell on May 28, 2014 at 4:18:25 pm

The best NLE is likely to be the one the editor is most comfortable with.

It's valuable to think about how you will master when you have finished the storytelling aspects of the edit: are you delivering to broadcast tech specifications, colour grading, sound mix, and work back from there. The necessary scopes, sound meters, properly calibrated monitor, etc, and the time efficiency of using a dedicated setup means that for a project of that size it's a false economy to try to finalise a programme of that length to broadcast requirements on a laptop system (I do it regularly for short projects but it's not efficient for 90 minutes). Deciding how and where your finishing will happen will give you some requirements for your NLE, e.g., what kind of cutting files will you need to export; XML, aaf, omfi, etc.

A 90 minute doc really must have the sound tracklayed as it is bring edited, sorting out audio on a project of that size where that hasn't been done right from the start is very time consuming and therefore expensive.

TBH, I have a favourite choice of NLE for that kind of project, but another cutter might prefer something else.

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Jun 3, 2014 at 1:33:00 am

[Spyros Skandalos] "Our footage is aprox. 20 hours and we plan to make a 90min documentary."

Before you get too far along, please read the following thread: http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/99/858197 where they discuss shooting ratios.

Let's calculate yours (please check my math).

20 hours * 60 = 1200 minutes of footage.

1200/90 = 13.33.

"Most shows use a 200:1 ratio" according to Mr. Raudonis.

Knowing a bit about exhibition, 90 minutes is really tough to get into festivals.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 3, 2014 at 3:23:19 am

[Spyros Skandalos] "Taking into account all of the above which would it be the best NLE system"

The one your editor likes best...and the one that can output what you are required to deliver.

[Spyros Skandalos] "and/or workflow for this project?"

That depends on many factors...including how it will be delivered. Is this a process doc? Historical? Biographical? Following an event? Soooooo many factors...

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]